Just got the 640-916 book

dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had preordered the book saw it on sale on cisco press, just came in the mail, this book is HUGE, about as big if not bigger than the Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals book, needless to say once i wrap up my CCNP i will be jumping on this track

man it is a huge book

Comments

• sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    I'm writing this exam next week and this book has been by far the hardest thing I have ever read. Mainly because I've always stayed away from storage networking and don't find it at all interesting.

This book repeats itself a lot and goes into an incredible amount of detail for a CCNA level book. Good in many ways, but for someone learning new technology its extremely daunting.

I'm concerned with how much of the book is dedicated to the specifics of every switch, line card and chassis out there. I really hope the exam doesn't devolve into pure memorization of technical specs.

The thing I like most about the Cisco certs is that if you know how to do the job you can pass the exam. Questions like "given this output, explain blah" is way easier than "which of the following line cards supports both FCoE and Fabricpath"
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man, i havent really read the book yet, just browsed it, i hope the exam is what you want it to be
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    sandman748 wrote: »
    I'm writing this exam next week and this book has been by far the hardest thing I have ever read. Mainly because I've always stayed away from storage networking and don't find it at all interesting.

If you have time or want to spend the extra cash, the INE CCIE DC storage videos were excellent and will give you a solid understanding of storage networking on MDS, NX-OS, and UCS.

I've checked out a few chapters in the rough cuts on safari books and this book goes WAY into more detail than I think will be required for the CCNA-DC, however knowledge is power right :)
  • klebanovklebanov Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear readers,

I am one of the authors for the book being discussed here. Thank you very much for purchasing this book! When we wrote this book our approach was two-fold. First, we wanted to create a book, which provides readers all the tools necessary to pass CCNA Data Center ICT 640-916 certification exam. Second, we wanted this book to be your companion in the journey of becoming stronger Data Center technologies professional. This book can also be your reference in pursuing professional and expert level Cisco certifications in the Data Center field, should you choose to do so.

This book shares a wealth of information and we sincerely hope you find it valuable. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

David
    @DavidKlebanov

P.S. Other authors of this book can be reached on Twitter at [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]NavaidShamsee, [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]okarakok, [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]ahmedafrose. Hesham can be reached on email at hefayed@cisco.com
  • sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    Well I passed the exam and can say that the book was way overkill for that exam. Not a bad thing at all. It was an excellent book and I learned a lot from it. Just don't get too discouraged if the book seems like its a lot to handle for the CCNA because it goes into way more detail than the exam will test you on.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, hoping to do this one myself this year so thanks for the comments on the book icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got mine as well...

He's a big boy icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure I have the courage to read this in bed. This bad boy is either gonna fall on my face and suffocate me when I fall asleep, or maybe just crush my head as I suffer a momentary lapse of consciousness.

"Blood, like a Crimson Highway, Spreading out from His forehead to the Ground"
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got mine as well...

He's a big boy icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure I have the courage to read this in bed. This bad boy is either gonna fall on my face and suffocate me when I fall asleep, or maybe just crush my head as I suffer a momentary lapse of consciousness.

"Blood, like a Crimson Highway, Spreading out from His forehead to the Ground"

Congrats!! I am just wondering without any hands on practice, passing the exam based on the contents in the book is of any worth? I am thinking about those devices eg. switchtes, UCS systems etc. No offense at all !!
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    klebanov wrote: »
    Dear readers,

I am one of the authors for the book being discussed here. Thank you very much for purchasing this book! When we wrote this book our approach was two-fold. First, we wanted to create a book, which provides readers all the tools necessary to pass CCNA Data Center ICT 640-916 certification exam. Second, we wanted this book to be your companion in the journey of becoming stronger Data Center technologies professional. This book can also be your reference in pursuing professional and expert level Cisco certifications in the Data Center field, should you choose to do so.

This book shares a wealth of information and we sincerely hope you find it valuable. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

David
    @DavidKlebanov

P.S. Other authors of this book can be reached on Twitter at [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]NavaidShamsee, [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]okarakok, [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@[/FONT]ahmedafrose. Hesham can be reached on email at hefayed@cisco.com

David,
    Thanks for making yourself available like this! I haven't purchased the book yet, but it sounds like a great resource.