Questions about cert..

DrGeeDrGee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, this is my first post here :D . I came across this website while looking for info about the A+ certification.

After reading about the changes they are about to make to the certification next year, I'm still confused as to why people refer to taking one exam or the other. Aren't both exams (hardware + os) required in order to be certified?

Also, what book should I get if I want to study for both (A+) exams. I visited amazon.com but there seem to be many different books, some not available until december. I've been fixing computers for a while now and have put a few together so I expect to be familiar with some of the topics. I went through 4 semesters of CCNA training while in high school but never got certified. I would not be so interested in the A+ cert. had it not been because I want to apply or a job that requires it. Any additional info on how it all works and how long it usually takes from the time someone starts studying to the time they get certified would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.. Great site!

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    first of all, welcome to TechExams.net
    a place where you will find lots of help and support for IT certification.

the current A+ track is from 2003. You have to pass the hardware core exam 220-301 and OS exam 220-302 to be A+ certified.

CompTIA (the organization that certifies people with A+) announced that the new 2006 track is coming out, and will likely be available by the end of 2006. The new track will no longer be split into hardware and os, but rather an essential exam (includes OS AND hardware) plus a job-specific exam depending on what kind of environment you will be working in.

the exam code for essentials is 220-601, job-specific exam codes are 220-602, 603, 604, and 605.
    http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A.aspx

On the new 2006 track, you have to pass essentials exam PLUS ONE OF 602, 603, 604, or 605.

The 2006 track isnt official available yet I dont think...that's probably why some books arent coming out till Dec.

CompTIA also stated that the 2003 track will be available until AT LEAST Dec 2006. I believe the 2006 track is more expensive...since it's not really available yet, I dont suggest waiting for the new track, and new materials.

Sybex A+ complete is a really good book, exam cram will also give you lots of practice questions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0782142435/sr=8-2/qid=1155444847/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8812779-9301419?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789731088/sr=1-2/qid=1155444872/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8812779-9301419?ie=UTF8&s=books
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    DrGee wrote:
    Hello, this is my first post here :D . I came across this website while looking for info about the A+ certification.

After reading about the changes they are about to make to the certification next year, I'm still confused as to why people refer to taking one exam or the other. Aren't both exams (hardware + os) required in order to be certified?

....<snip>!

Welcome :)

Bighornsheep covered much of your question.

Yes, at this point there are two exams that are required to become certified. As for why people write about taking one before another....it's up to them. I recommend taking both exams the same day as in the real world, this is how problems are solved. So feel (I guess) that is it 'easier' to take one exam, pass and then concentrate on the next. Their choice.

Soon there will be some changes to the A+ path, but two exams will still be required to be considered certified.

Mike Meyers has the best book out there for A+. Second I'd recommend Sybex and for supplimental reading...Scott Mueller's. Though nothing beats hands-on experience and I recommend that first and foremost.

If you are not planning no taking the A+ that is fine too. Just because an employer recommends it or requires it for an interview, if you can prove you have knowledge above that level, then you still may get an interview...just depends on how you handle the company doing the hiring. There is a potential problem in that by not having an A+ but having something 'more', you may put yourself out of the running as they may only be seeking an entry-level person and not an Administrator or Engineer per se.

Not much is absolute.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Welcome :)

Bighornsheep covered much of your question.

Yes, at this point there are two exams that are required to become certified. As for why people write about taking one before another....it's up to them. I recommend taking both exams the same day as in the real world, this is how problems are solved. So feel (I guess) that is it 'easier' to take one exam, pass and then concentrate on the next. Their choice.

hehe...thank you, thank you....

You're suggesting taking exams on the same day only for A+ right...? Cause 70-270,70-290,AND 70-291 on the same day would definitely hurt a little. lol....

cheers~!

=> DrGee, want to also remind you that there's a 3-month time frame for the two exams, you have to complete both the exams within that time frame to get your certification.

Ask me how I know? I was caught up with school and work, and almost missed the 90th day mark....

ps...there are benefits to taking both your exams on the same day....not only is it 'real-life problems', you also wont forget about it, like how I almost did.... icon_lol.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz wrote:
    hehe...thank you, thank you....

You're suggesting taking exams on the same day only for A+ right...? Cause 70-270,70-290,AND 70-291 on the same day would definitely hurt a little. lol....

cheers~!

Yes.

We're in the A+ forum, so I'm only refering to A+ stuff unless I go completely mad or just plan forget ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DrGeeDrGee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANKS a lot for the info and advice!

I went to Borders today because I want to start studying as soon as possible and bought Michael Meyers' All-In-One guide. After getting home and checking for prices at Amazon again I see that the price is almost 2x at the Borders store so I'm gonna order it online and return the one at the store. I thought it would be the same price since Borders and Amazon are partners. I am also planning on buying the Exam Cram Practice Questions book once I am done with this 1100+ page monster.

Plantwiz: I also thought about just applying without the A+ cert. at the beginning but now I think it's better to have the A+ cert under my belt. It would look better in my resume and more importantly it would help me "organize" what I already know and fill-in the gaps of what I don't know.

bighornsheep:I will definitely have in mind the 3-month time frame. I wonder what would happen if they change to the new version after I pass only one of the exams.. icon_confused.gif:

Again, thanks a lot to you two, you were very helpful.
    DrGee wrote:
    THANKS a lot for the info and advice!

I went to Borders today because I want to start studying as soon as possible and bought Michael Meyers' All-In-One guide. After getting home and checking for prices at Amazon again I see that the price is almost 2x at the Borders store so I'm gonna order it online and return the one at the store. I thought it would be the same price since Borders and Amazon are partners. I am also planning on buying the Exam Cram Practice Questions book once I am done with this 1100+ page monster.

Plantwiz: I also thought about just applying without the A+ cert. at the beginning but now I think it's better to have the A+ cert under my belt. It would look better in my resume and more importantly it would help me "organize" what I already know and fill-in the gaps of what I don't know.

bighornsheep:I will definitely have in mind the 3-month time frame. I wonder what would happen if they change to the new version after I pass only one of the exams.. icon_confused.gif:

Again, thanks a lot to you two, you were very helpful.

Most of the time, you dont HAVE to HAVE all the qualifications listed on a posting to apply. Sometimes you can get the position without being 'fully-qualified', IMO A+ is NOT one of those requirements, you should aim to get your A+ quickly. Nevertheless, you can apply for the job, and tell them that you're working on it already, and show that you have the intention to get it.

CompTIA has already announced that candidates will have more than enough time to make the transition. Unless if you're REALLY slacking....you wont miss out on your certification. Chances are, the new track wont even be out yet when you get your A+.