CCNP T-Shoot Everyday

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just have to laugh cause everyday at work reminds me of Taking the T-Shoot exam. Ping the Tunnel "Fail", Ping the Wan address of the router "Fail", Ping the ISP gateway "Pass". Fill in the notes on the ticket and punt back down to the NOC guys and lecture them on how to use ping to T-shoot and question why they didn't just follow the packet. Out of all the exams, I use the CCNA Security and NP T-Shoot material the most in my everyday duties. But every time I have command prompt open its like "Ground Hog Day" at the test center. Maybe its Cisco PTSD!
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Sounds like you need a more challenging position.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nah, I already manage the Firewall and 600 remote sites, All of our Solarwinds Servers, all router builds, Our NAC and AD accounts for our SSL VPN not to mention all our policies and procedures for our NOC. I even have time time to spec out all the equipment for our football stadium builds coming up. I have enough on my plate that takes away from my internet surfing time. icon_lol.gif Just need a bigger whip for the NOC guys to do their job so I can do mine.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    It sounds like you're busy. Is this the kind of challenge you were looking for?

Cisco PTSD, lol!icon_lol.gif
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While doing my CCNP I had daydreams of what it would be like to be doing BGP and MPLS setups all day and compare it to my current job and just being the "Network Bad A$$" title. But I realized I would rather just tinker with those technologies here and there and not being the one who wears the Hat for it. My work flow goes up and down and the current project is replacing all 600 sites with Cisco equipment. We are basically a full Cisco shop. I'm currently 350 sites deep with no end in site. This is on top of the 10-12 new sites we turn up every month. Heck the Superbowl ran on the backbone of my company and a lot of Hockey/NFL stadiums are managed by us. No shortage of cool things to get involved with. I'm pretty happy being the mid-level Engineer for now and will eventually move up at my current pace. Right now having a balanced Home/Work life is more important to me. Seeing some of the projects that our Disney crew is involved with is really cool cutting edge but when things go wrong they are getting their butts chewed trying to maintain SLA's. My dad always said to try and find a job where they pay you for what you know and don't break you back for a living. Took me 10 years after school to learn that lesson..ha ha