Best book

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
What is the best book to use for the security+ cert. I keep hearing about the sybex book and micheal meyers whic one is better.
God deserves my best

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get the syngress book. the sybrex is a little to vauge for my taste but make sure you read the technotes here on this site as well. I have the sybex book and its good but it doesnt go into any technical details, which might not be need for the exam but its always nice to know a little detail. The microsoft book is a good book as well, but its really boring icon_sad.gif
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    You will need at least 2 books. I would say Sybex to get you started as it seemed easier to read than the Syngress book. Then go on to hte Syngress book... Thats just my thoughts on it though.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I'll concur with that. I used Sybex then Syngress. Also go over notes in TechExams. There's a few things in there that is not in either book.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the headsup guys, much appreciated
    God deserves my best
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I tend to fall back to my usual advice for the ol' "Which book is best" question: Take a seat at the bookstore with a big stack of books on the subject you're studying, and page through them until you find the one(s) that you find readable and worth your money, then head for the checkout line. However, I can give one recommendation for books to read, as these served me very well:

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=Security&subcategory=Security&isbn=0-619-21566-6

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=Security&subcategory=Security&isbn=0-619-21536-4

Besides these books, I used the CBT Nuggets and TestOut software training, and I scored particularly well on the test, so I can recommend those, too.

Good luck with your studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Unfortunately many of the bookstores around here don't have a great selection of tech training books.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going through the White All-in-one right now. It seems pretty good, but it was published back in '03. I picked up the Exam Cram book as well. Hopefully those will be enough. A lot of the topics aren't very new to me so it is pretty easy to comprehend this material.

There are a bunch of great technotes on this site that could practically be in their own book too! :D