Passed the PMP

Passed the PMP yesterday with:

Initiation: Proficient
Planning: Moderately Proficient
Executing: Moderately Proficient
Monitoring and Controlling: Moderately Proficient
Closing: Moderately Proficient

Spent about four months studying, had to take a break as I had corrective eye surgery and needed to heal.

I took the entire four hours on the exam, I am sure it could be done faster, my eyes were bothering me and I had to read slow.

Books and Materials:

PMP Exam Prep, Seventh Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam Paperback – July 11, 2011
by Rita Mulcahy
ISBN-13: 978-1932735413
ISBN-10: 1932735410

PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam Paperback – June 12, 2013
by Rita Mulcahy
ISBN-13: 978-1932735659
ISBN-10: 1932735658

The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Fifth Edition Paperback – June 15, 2013
by Andy Crowe PMP PgMP
ISBN-13: 978-0982760857
ISBN-10: 098276085X

McGraw-Hill's PMP Certification Mathematics with CD-ROM Paperback – February 25, 2010
by Vidya Subramanian, Ravi Ramachandran
ISBN-13: 978-0071633055
ISBN-10: 0071633057

I had both versions of Rita's book, have had the 7th edition for years just never got around to it, then the PMBOK changed so I got her new book along with Andy Crowe's book and the PMP math book.

I also joined PMI as I could get the PMBOK and a discount on the exam.

Have to say - Rita's books are perfect, if you have the 7th edition, it's probably enough to take the exam, but there is new material in the 8th.

Andy's book while informative was not really very helpful compared to Rita's - it was just a user friendly version of the PMBOK.

I thought the math book was a total waste of time...until I took the exam...that math book helped me immensely...there was only one question I was stumped on and I am confident I was able to make a good guess. (I simply forgot the formula).

As I am sure others have echoed - Rita's book is an amazing resource - don't just read it - learn it, live it, know it forward and backwards.

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I am actually studying for the exam myself right now and I am using Rita's 8th ed. I am glad I didn't pick up the Andy Crowe book after reading your review. I just finished my first pass through Rita 8th ed and am almost done listening to the PMPrepCast. I am going to look into the McGraw-Hill's PMP CD you mentioned because I know the math questions will trip me up.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! PMP is definitely on my radar for next year.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ohhhhhh PMP! GJ, I need to take that test as well
  • SuperLT09SuperLT09 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats my friend!!!!
    2018 Goals: CISSP (JUNE), MSCA Server 2016 (SEPTEMBER), CISM (DECEMBER), Need to learn Linux and Python

2019 Goals: OSCP, Transferring to the Army Cyber Branch
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Congrats, I'm trying to take the test the middle of the month myself. Just wrapping up some last certs, but have the material and managed to pass the CISSP with two weeks of studied compression. Have the P+ and MBA with PM, so it very familiar.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    congrats and great post!
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Congrats.
    Any opinions between Learnsmart or PMstudy for the required 35 hours of classroom study?
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    Congrats! Great. ITIL intermediate certification also carrier oriented course. If you are interested you can join.