Tough choices A+/Security+

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was looking for advice with regards to the fact that the A+ syllabus is changing as of Dec 31st, so i was wondering if i should do it now, or just do the security+ instead, and try the A+ after december.
God deserves my best

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Do A+ before Dec 31st.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • DrGeeDrGee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in a similar situation but have decided to just do the A+ cert. before it changes on dec. 31 since if I wait for the new version, I will have to study for a new exam in addition to hardware + os. So my advice is to just start as soon as you can; I got the All-In-One book from Michael Meyers today and will probably get the Exam Cram 2 Practice Questions before taking the exam. Good Luck!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I must agree with supertechCETma,
    Do A+ before Dec 31st.

You will need the knowledge gained in A+ prep to study for Security+. It wouldn't hurt to have Server+ knowledge too.

As far as A+, get busy now. You can probably get if done before exams are changed. If not, you shouldn't need a lot more preparation to cover the new A+ material.

Security+ will always be around because this particular specialization is just taking off and not quite in level flight yet.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot guys, what are the best books i need for the A+ in your opinion and will i be able to cover that material before dec 31?
    God deserves my best
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Depends on your level of real world experience honestly....
    I had 3 years as a computer support technician before taking my A+, I studied for each exam for about 2 weeks. I found the exams easy and passed no problem... I do honestly think that my years as a tech helped more than the book did though.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Megadeth4168, I was doing support now for almost a yr, obviously not long but my learning curve is pretty short, so i usually don't take long to grasp concepts.
    the reason i asked was because i realised the book contained like 1100 pages and to read and understand that by dec seemed a bit much.
    God deserves my best
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    buy the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers, Fifth Edition....I used this book plus my yrs of experience as tech support and I finished it within 1 1/2 mo. You need to also use the VMWare for W95/W98/WNT for your OS Exam....goodluck....
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking to get both those very soon(A+ and security+) I am going after the A+ first because it seems like the change is going to a huge mess. Then I hope to get net and security + soon after. I am taking the core exam in less than week.