Should I do Net+ before CCENT?

jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm about 1 year into IT. So, it's not like I have a crazy amount of experience. I just bought a CCNA book, but not sure what to do. Should I do the Net+ before I do the CCENT? Keep in mind, I have pretty much 0 cisco knowledge. I've worked with Packet Tracer a few times, that's about it.

So, do you think I should do Net+ first? I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm just wondering what to do here. I bought the CCNA book, but now I'm a little nervous about it. I just kind of feel like a loser right now because I have to ask this.

Comments

• rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it's a valid question, nothing to feel bad about. I am also interested in climbing the Cisco ladder one day so I hope you get a response. I was always told one of the first things you need to do is start by learning how to subnet. Funny, I just did a google search and that just came up.... Neglect the basics -- such as subnetting -- now and you will regret it later on. Subnetting is a CCNA concept that engineers will deal with in their careers every day. If you do not master subnetting early on, you will not only be unable to do your job, but you will have to go back and re-learn the concepts you’ve already studied.
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the basic of learning foundation I would say go with net+ first then ccent/ccna because net+ contains most of the concepts of networking field; meanwhile ccent demands to know deep concepts of networking regrading routing and switching how it works also how to subneting. Anyhow, if you really want to know for sure buy net+ book and ccna book then read them through some let see which will interest your mind to compare and go with that first, hope this helps.
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd definitely recommend CompTIA's Network+ before CCNA. First, Network+ does a good job of teaching the foundations of networking. You'll likely get most of the same information again in CCENT, but at that point you would have seen the information twice and have a higher probability of recalling the information at test time. Second, you could bang out Network+ in a month of solid studying and use it now for employment purposes. While Network+ certainly isn't the most advanced networking certification it could make all the difference in terms of opening up new possibilities or a possible promotion until you're able to get your CCNA.

Just My Two Cents,

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any certifications at all, or have you taken and IT certification exam? If not I would say do the Network+ first. As already said, it will give you the basics of networking, but it will also be a less stressful exam and get you used to taking IT exams. Get a good book, Professor Messer's free videos and i would say 6 to 8 weeks at 2 or 3 hours a day to study. If you can do in in 4 weeks, great, just dont rush it, really soak it all in. At $277 at test, you want to pass it on the first try.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco CCENT and N+ cover vary diffrent material and there is very little similarities. N+ is much easier and can be studied in a much shorter amount of time, however a cisco cert is worth 10 times what N+ is worth in the job market.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    Cisco CCENT and N+ cover vary diffrent material and there is very little similarities. N+ is much easier and can be studied in a much shorter amount of time, however a cisco cert is worth 10 times what N+ is worth in the job market.

I felt there was definitely alot of overlap... at least in the first half of the CCENT material. Then it goes into more basic configuring of cisco equipment. The first half of CCENT goes over the basics of networking and what packets do, how they are configured, the OSI model, binary, basic network components, and subnetting (definitely more subnetting on the CCENT than the N+ though) just like the Network+ does. I would personally recommend anyone that wants to get into networking to skip the N+ and go for the CCENT.
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I felt there was definitely alot of overlap... at least in the first half of the CCENT material. Then it goes into more basic configuring of cisco equipment. The first half of CCENT goes over the basics of networking and what packets do, how they are configured, the OSI model, binary, basic network components, and subnetting (definitely more subnetting on the CCENT than the N+ though) just like the Network+ does. I would personally recommend anyone that wants to get into networking to skip the N+ and go for the CCENT.

This is something I had been wondering myself for a while now studying for the ICND1/2 exam, and that just answered my question. Personally, after watching INE's videos (I have both for Net+, as well as CCENT/CCNA), I see alot of overlap in the videos for Net+ and CCENT as well. I've decided to just skip that and follow through with studying for the ICND1.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227

i guess its all subjective to the person. i would suggest the N+ first. The ccent will recap portions of the N+ then move on to more fun topics like subnetting, command line and IOS etc. All depends on the person i guess
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it was me doing it and my school wasn't paying for it, I'd study for the N+ but not take the exam then start studying for the CCENT and take that. The CCENT is cheaper and a better cert.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    markulous wrote: »
    If it was me doing it and my school wasn't paying for it, I'd study for the N+ but not take the exam then start studying for the CCENT and take that. The CCENT is cheaper and a better cert.
    ^ Do this. Net+ has good info, but the cert itself isn't as useful.