Options

What is Fallback procedure?

ankurj.hazarikaankurj.hazarika Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
What exactly is a "Fallback" procedure. I was going through FFIEC some controls, and one of them mentioned- "Fallback procedures should exist for all proposed changes across Applications".

Comments

• Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I imagine its rollback (in my terminology) how you get back to where you were in the event of failed rollout
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Correct. This is part of Change Management. You plan to change something. Fall back is how you revert that failed change and go back to your original state. Per ISO 27001:

Procedures for aborting and recovering from unsuccessful changes shall be documented. Should the outcome of a change be different to the expected result (as identified in the testing of the change), procedures and responsibilities shall be noted for the recovery and continuity of the affected areas. Fall back procedures will be in place to ensure systems can revert back to what they were prior to implementation of changes.
  • Options
    wegeliuswegelius Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rollback=revert a software update
    Fallback=revert to a system or application that was to be replaced

Example 1:
    Application XYZ version 1.2 is upgraded to 2.0. However a severe bug is detected and the software is rolled back to its previous version

Example 2:
    Application XYZ is being replaced with application ABC. However during roll-out a severe bug is detected and fallback is done to XYZ