ِadvise What next after MCSE?!!

LaithArarLaithArar Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am New here, recently i get my MCSE certificate, and i am pretty confident with MS servers, i need advise what would be the best Certification i should go for to add to my skills that will help me improve and find better opportunities in the future?

Best Regards
Laith

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're pretty much at the top of the hill regarding Microsoft certs so I don't know what could benefit you the most. What are you interested in? Depending on your interests, you could get into VMware or security or whichever you'd like I guess if you want to stay in the systems/server branch.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are 8 other MSCE certifications.... Pick your poison icon_wink.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    6 figures and then some. :)
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    @N2IT you thibk the MCSE is worth 100k+? Which MCSE do you think pays the most?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    @Philz - An MCSE with complimentary experience can certainly be worth $100K. I was making 6 figures years ago in networking with a CCNA and my ambition. Now I'm working on cruising past the $200K mark :P

@OP - If you're feeling comfortable with servers, I would look into expanding your skillset and working on automation and scripting. Python, Powershell, etc - things to automate a lot of the server tasks. I see a lot of systems engineers who know how to click Next like experts but not so many who can script, sadly. Also I would recommend diving into Linux, VMware, Citrix to really broaden your skillset so you're not just an MS guy and your resume will stand out more. Good luck :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Last year I saw a job posting in the Boston area looking for a Microsoft Lync expert for $140K per year.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Philz - An MCSE with complimentary experience can certainly be worth $100K. I was making 6 figures years ago in networking with a CCNA and my ambition. Now I'm working on cruising past the $200K mark :P

@Iristheangel, if you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity how many years of experience did it take you to reach the 100K$ mark?
    @Iristheangel, if you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity how may years of experience did it take you to reach the 100K$ mark?

I don't mind at all. I had done almost 2 years as a Jr admin at some small shop, 2.5 year as a security analyst and in between, I did a 3 month internship at an MSP and did sidework off of Onforce, Workmarket, etc. Anything to get more experience at that point.
    I got lucky and got hired as a network consultant at a big company for $50/hr. Within 90 days, I got a $5/hr raise from the director of IT. 8 months later, I was a FTE with a big bump in pay and a 20% bonus a year. Now a couple years later, I'm at a much bigger company that I honestly feel will keep me happy for 5-10+ years at this point.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    For the person who down repped me saying

"Stfu about 100k that is all you talk about, big mouth"

$100,000.00 formerly known as 100k

:-p
    philz1982 wrote: »
    For the person who down repped me saying all i talk about is 100k.

$100,000.00

LoL. WTF?

Oh well.. I get down repped all the time but it's an internet forum and green bars don't translate to points in life. I've met some cool people off of here through the years and that's why I bounce back here.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    A VCP-DCV would complement your MCSE pretty well. It depends on what interests you though obviously
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LoL. WTF? I'm confused.

I think someone has been down-repping Philz lately.

Philz, feel free to report this activity to a moderator. At the very least they can investigate to see if it's the same repeat offender. I think that may constitute forum harassment or abuse.
    nster wrote: »
    A VCP-DCV would complement your MCSE pretty well. It depends on what interests you though obviously

I agree, I think the VCP-DCV would be a great complement to the MCSE (server).
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Na dude like Iris said it doesn't matter and I don't really care I just like to show my appreciation for people who take the time to anonomously complain icon_smile.gif

Like I've always said , well really since 4 months ago at least, Haters hate us cause they ain't us!
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IIWY I'd look into other MCSE certs, ones you are interested of course. VMware would be good certs to have but I have a feeling hyper-v is starting to take over in the windows server space and for good reason.

Depending on where you are, $100K is comfortable or a lot. In the midwest I don't see many MCSE openings paying $100K but $100K here is like $200K in socal and nyc. CCIE and CISSP on the other hand begin around $100K. In Turkey I have no idea.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    LoL. WTF?

Oh well.. I get down repped all the time but it's an internet forum and green bars don't translate to points in life. I've met some cool people off of here through the years and that's why I bounce back here.

Green bars ARE LIFE
    philz1982 wrote: »
    For the person who down repped me saying

"Stfu about 100k that is all you talk about, big mouth"

$100,000.00 formerly known as 100k

100K and love from N2IT, there's a lot to be jealous about! icon_twisted.gif
    @ Nster I'm jealous of your cloud and project + certifications.

@ Philz Like IRIS mentioned, with the experience one MCSE can get you 100K, even in the midwest. I know of a system admin from my last job who was laid off recently who got picked up by Mastercard for ~ 140,000 in the midwest, he has his A+ and MCSE 2003. Like Iris mentioned he does have experience to go with it.

PS whoever said you can't make 100,000 in the midwest with an MCSE is really bad at evaluating the market.
    If you are referring to my post on mcse's making $100K in the midwest you misinterpreted it. I said I don't see many $100K openings looking for MCSE's here, which is MN. I was referring to the midwest as $100K being more like $200K in socal and nyc. In other locations I have no idea, systems seem to be very saturated job market around here.

I know of 3 MCSE's locally that have bachelors and 15+ years of experience, none of them have broken $85K and they've held many windows sys admin positions from smb's to enterprise. OTOH I know of a CCIE that has no degree and 10 years of experience near the $200K with a relatively small company. The 2 local CISSP's I know are making well north of $100K at least judging by their possessions.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here in MN I know one MCSE that makes about 100k. But that is because he has his own small company... I would think most MCSEs here in MN are closer to the 80k range
    Around here it seems systems job listings are looking for a lot more experience then they used to while paying the same as well. In the long run it's not about how much money you make but how enjoyable your job is IMO. This coming from someone who doesn't care all that much for systems and is severely underpaid for doing it but foot in the door. Looking forward to moving into networks and hopefully the demand for it stays as hot as it is right now in the area.
    @Techfiend

No questions the CCIE will command more money, at least that is the trends I have seen.

I agree MCSE and 200k nonsense unless it's just a cert that goes along with a beefy set of skills and responsibilities.

With that said you can get 100,000 all day in the midwest as a SA with an MCSE, granted you have legit experience and years of service. 7+

We hired a SA with ~7 years of service no certifications right at 85k and he lasted 2 years and 5 months. He ended up getting released but now he is a network admin at a fortune 500 making 120,000 no certs.

Just saying.....
    techfiend wrote: »
    Around here it seems systems job listings are looking for a lot more experience then they used to while paying the same as well. In the long run it's not about how much money you make but how enjoyable your job is IMO. This coming from someone who doesn't care all that much for systems and is severely underpaid for doing it but foot in the door. Looking forward to moving into networks and hopefully the demand for it stays as hot as it is right now in the area.

I disagree its is totally about how much money you make. I can be super happy at my job but if I get paid crap and my kids have to live in the projects and risk getting shot or worse forget that. Money gives you the ability to pursue happiness. I know this for a fact as I started at 17k/yr and the things I can now do with my family at my current salary make a massive quality of life difference.
    @Philz - I don't think it should be all about the money you make. Obviously, you need money to survive and keep your family safe but I think there is a point where long term happiness, stability, etc should outweigh job hopping and the constant pursuit of a larger paycheck. If I was offered a job outside of my existing company for $50K more, I wouldn't take it because I'm happy with the people I work with, my job, and the quality of life I have. It is nice that they do reward me and compensate me well... but if my heart wasn't in it, that money wouldn't feel like it was worth it. Maybe one day I won't feel fulfilled in my current position and want something more, but I can't see that day being in the next 5 years and I think my company will continue to pay me well as I progress professionally. I guess I don't just see a job as a means to an end... it's also got to be something I enjoy doing and feel passionate about.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    @iris I can respect that, different strokes for different folks. My passion is home and family and I see work as a means to an end. The reason I strive so much for money is cause my end goal is to teach and spend time at home with my kids/wife.
    For me it's about a threshold. I'm pretty sure 75K+ I would be happy with my quality of life (though this figure can change on when I grow older / have a family), after that threshold, money will become way less important and quality of work environment becomes much more important. I'd much rather have 75K with the most awesome work environment than 150K with a meh environment
    I may be wrong but seeing how everyone I know in the IT field is living comfortably, I think it's very unlikely that IT workers will live in the ghetto unless they choose to. They're also happy and not all about the money, people who are all about the money often get into law or day trading and most hate their jobs but it's money. The rich have by far the largest rate of suicide for a reason.

Philz: I think you are aware most professors don't have very lucrative jobs unless they are doing things on the side like literature, correct? Then why do you strive to teach, because you want to? Catch my drift?
    techfiend wrote: »
    I may be wrong but seeing how everyone I know in the IT field is living comfortably

I see underpaid IT workers left and right. 35K in a big city is hard to live with. More importantly, I see overworked and/or under-appreciated IT people a lot too. But even if it is 50-60K, some people have a higher standard of living then others and would be very unhappy with such a "low" wage. Others are the happiest men on earth with 40-50K.

There is always a scale in these things. You can like IT but not love it, but love the more costly lifestyle. Everyone has their own preferences, so it isn't as black and white as if you want money you do day trading
    Sure, I'm one of those underpaid, overworked IT guys, but I'm still living fairly comfortably and I'm just starting out. 35K is above the national average pay. I'll gladly take more money and think I'm worth more than what I'm getting paid, otherwise I'd risk complacency. But working in IT just for the money or taking a different IT position solely based on money seems wrong to me.

I'm only on my first IT job but I took the the lower paying job because I thought I'd like it more and allowed me to grow faster, and I was right, 3 months in I was basically the sys admin. The higher paying job had me sitting on the phone all day which sounded miserable. I chose to be happier than make more money.
    Yea I agree that IT is a good place to be in right now and it is easier to live comfortably in IT than in many fields.

Still, people who have a philosophy similar to Phil's might prefer a 120K salary with a boring job than a 80K salary with a great job simply because of the way they view things. I think what I'm trying to say is that in practice, it really depends on the person. Some people's thresholds are simply much higher. If I were 40 yo and at the top of my game, but the IT market wasn't as good etc, I'd probably rather take a 75-80K job that's boring or meh, than a 55-60K that was awesome

Of curse, right now, since I am still learning, I would take a 29K job that teaches me a bunch over a 60K job that sucks and doesn't bring me towards my goals.

For a lot of people, living comfortably comparatively to others is simply not enough, and they have their own definition of what comfortable is
  • LaithArarLaithArar Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks every one who replied to me..

well i don't wanna sound dramatic here, but the reason why i asked is that i came from a country where there is a war and i had to leave and start from scratch, i was working as system administrator for few years back in my country. things going tough and i am asking what certificate to achieve to find a job for living ( 6 figures or 5.... it doesn't matter) .

I do have interests in networking and security as well, i did self-study CCNA and CEH also i play around with linux servers.

so i guess i may go for 2 more MCSE and CCNA security maybe. beside i am into virtualization.

Cheers
    Best Regards