Hortonworks Certified Apache Hadoop Administrator

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know what I am going for next: Hortonworks Certified Apache Hadoop Administrator! Work sent me to a training course in September/October and I'll be deploying our cluster in the next two weeks. Not a whole lot of information out there, but I have the official courseware book from the class so I will be studying that. I'll keep everyone updated on my study progress, the deployment progress, and when I schedule the exam. I think within the next month or so should be around when I am ready.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Sounds amazing! Good luck mate!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Hey, aswesome! Was there a raffle of some kind and you had the lucky ticket?
    What's the study material looking like? Is it just for course attendees or is it on Amazon/some other online vendor?
    Definitely looks interesting.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Haha, nah my counterpart sold management on a big data approach to the data we collect. In turn they asked me to look for a viable product that we could utilize to do it. Obviously, Cloudera is a big one, but for anything we wanted we would have to pay. My agency can rarely if ever get funding for IT stuff so price was a huge factor. Thus as I searched (and I believe Nightshade might have mentioned Hortonworks) and found HDP. Completely open source and free for all the features we would need. I told management that since the product was free and since a support contract was out of the question I got them to spring for the training. I actually got them to go for the Operations course and the Developer course for my database guy along with my boss. Seems telling them "what good is it for me to setup this system if we can't make it do more then make the lights blink?" worked wonders.

The study material is the coursebook, which is about 500 pages or so. Only way I know of to actually get it is to attend the course. But I'm pretty sure if you read up on Hadoop in general and then the documentation of the website you could probably pass the exam. Their HDP Certified Developer looks really awesome! They reworked it and now it is a completely hands on exam. Just so happens that I have the book since we sent to people for the class :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Very nice, I've been considering picking up their Hadoop Administrator cert as well. I sat in on a week long Admin class, have read all the courseware, set up a production 128 node cluster and have been running it for the past year+.

Hadoop can be great although I'm not a fan of Hortonworks personally.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just an update. I am definitely going to ramp up on getting this certification, but they have changed it big time. First, it is now HDP Certified Administrator. Second, it is a fully performance based certification (like RHCSA/RHCE). Thus for the exam you would connect to an AWS instance and deploy a five node cluster. The nice part is they have a testing environment that you can utilize (you have to pay, but works out to be about 30 cents an hour) so that you can prepare. Definitely looking forward to knocking this one out!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff