Motivation group for folks studying and taking the CCENT in 3 to 4 months.

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
Feel free to use this as a journal, goal planner, or just general motivation group towards passing the CCENT. I'll be posting short-term goals in here for myself as a way to keep myself accountable. Good luck to everyone! icon_thumright.gif
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in but I am looking to take the exam at the end of March or sooner :)icon_study.gif

I am using ITProTV AND CBT Nuggets videos also have the CCENT book but not really a reading person. I hope I can get away with that icon_thumright.gif
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck guys, you have it! ExamForce has a 50 question free exam, there are exams here on TE and the Lammle book comes with help. Study hard. icon_cool.gif
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • brooklynzoo81brooklynzoo81 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested.
  • tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am reading the
    ICND 101-100 Official Cert Guide book

I am also using the resources found at these sites for some 'hands on' experience:
    Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab
    Free CCNA Workbook | CCNA Labs, Practice Exams and More!

• aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was posting in the Study Group thread, but seeing as there's a lot of people in here, I'll be posting my updates in here from now on.

So far this week I've finished chapters 3-4 in the Cisco Press book and watched CBTNuggets videos 7-12. I'm hoping to complete chapters 5-6 and watch videos 13-18 of the CBTNuggets series before the week is over.

Also, my lab came in the mail today!! But unfortunately the rack I bought to install everything into was defective and so now I must wait another 2 days for a replacement to come icon_sad.gif. I've got everything setup though and have been messing around with it a bit.

That's about it! Time to get back to reading! icon_study.gif
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    tpasmall wrote: »
    I am reading the

I am also using the resources found at these sites for some 'hands on' experience:

That workbook site is awesome! I'll definitely be using that towards the end of my studies once I'm labbing a lot more. The site doesn't seem to like my adblock+ though haha. Gives me a warning every single page that I visit to turn it off.
  • tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, the switch lab blog is awesome too. Just fire up Putty and you're working on live gear. I just started studying for this as well (last week). But I'm hoping to take the test by the end of April (I have some Cisco experience from my last job setting up ASAs)
  • tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    tpasmall wrote: »
    I am reading the

You guys are awesome. I needed to do the labs to strengthen my knowledge and now i know where. The only issue is that I can't get the topology from free ccna workbook. Can you guys helps with that?
  • RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I registred today will be taking the exam end of March, hope it's enough but i have been studying on and off since November.
    Using CBT Nuggets, Official Cert guide by WENDELL ODOM for labs i use gns3 with iou images and packet tracer.
    RynoR wrote: »
    I registred today will be taking the exam end of March, hope it's enough but i have been studying on and off since November.
    Using CBT Nuggets, Official Cert guide by WENDELL ODOM for labs i use gns3 with iou images and packet tracer.

I got faith in you! Also this is a pretty good resource and a way to prepare yourself the day of the exam. I think you might find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYouEyxZDgI
  • RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    aderon wrote: »
    I got faith in you! Also this is a pretty good resource and a way to prepare yourself the day of the exam. I think you might find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYouEyxZDgI

Thanks aderon, verry helpfull.
  • cee134cee134 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I found this Cisco Site to have a lot of good free info. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/15662

I also found a kickstart project on YouTube that is like a free version of CBT Nuggets:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO74ZTcc648&list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC

My problem is I don't know how to simulate the routers (GNS3 is good, but I don't have access to any IOS') any help on this front? I also can't do packet tracer because I have never been a student for CISCO Academy. I don't have much money however I do have access to just about every book out there (thanks to Safari Tech books online) so I need a very cheap/free way to practice for that portion of the test.

Am I right in assuming the I don't need to worry about that for the ICND1 just the ICND2?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck to everyone! I decided to pick up a ICND voucher and anticipate taking it next week. I've been using various books (Wiley) and resources (CBT Nuggets, Career Academy) - I love to absorb different teaching styles and methods to help me assimilate all the info better. I'm doing labs with GNS3 and Packet Tracer.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    Worst week of studying I've had in months! haha. I was only able to get through about 2.5 hours of CBTNuggets, but I did spend a lot of time messing around with the physical lab.

The goal for this week is to finish what I started last week and then work through an additional four chapters and 10 CBTNuggets. I've got a 4 day weekend so I think I'll be able to catch up. icon_thumright.gif

How's everyone else progressing?
  • jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im in! Ive been using the Chris Bryant video series on udemy.com. Im about midway through that. I also have the Odom and Lammle CCNA text. Just started a new job that includes extensive Cisco training. Lately, I've just been focusing on subnetting, practice, practice.
    jofas88 wrote: »
    Im in! Ive been using the Chris Bryant video series on udemy.com. Im about midway through that. I also have the Odom and Lammle CCNA text. Just started a new job that includes extensive Cisco training. Lately, I've just been focusing on subnetting, practice, practice.

That's a really good idea. I think I'm going to incorporate about 10 subnetting problems a day into my routine from now until I take the exam.
    Definitely wouldn't hurt, its easy to forget the more time you put between practice. I'm trying to be certified within the next month or two. Its also mandatory for work.
  • moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I been watching CBT Nuggets videos and also ITProTV. I like them both but CBT is a lot more in depth. ITproTV they go over everything and just summarize the basic networking stuff and they just referral you to their Network + videos if you need more info. Then they jump into the Cisco stuff. The only thing I dont like about ITProTV is there videos are really long usually about 1 hour or so and sometimes shorter but there is one that is about 2 hours long. WOW!!

I like how Jeremy on CBT nuggets does subnetting, easy to understand. You might want to check that out aderon
    Passed the CCNA composite today!
    Congrats jofas! I kinda abandoned this thread cause I felt bad about not really keeping up with the pace I had set for myself haha. But, I passed today with a 907/1000 so I feel like I can show my face again! :P

Breakdown as follows:

Operation of IP Data Networks - 67%
    LAN Switching Technologies - 73%
    IP addressing IPv4 and IPv6 - 100%
    IP Routing Technologies - 100%
    IP Services - 100%
    Network Device Security - 88%
    Troubleshooting - 71%

Anyone know what "Operation of IP Data Networks" is? I did pretty poorly on it, but that descriptions seems somewhat vague. I'm not sure what it's referring to.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats aderon! Nice score too
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aderon wrote: »
    Anyone know what "Operation of IP Data Networks" is? I did pretty poorly on it, but that descriptions seems somewhat vague. I'm not sure what it's referring to.

I'm not sure, but I noticed on my practice exams I was getting 71% on it as well. I think its the physical connections, like which cable should you use here, and distances that this media can travel, back off timers for collisions and such.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson