Options

Studying for the new tests - with the older materials

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
If I went ahead and studied for the SWITCH, ROUTE, and TSHOOT tests using the prior materials (using the pre-300-115, for example, material), wouldn't this effectively get me past, say, 90-95% of the material being tested on? It would save me a small fortune in funds at a time when I really don't have it to spend.

Comments

• Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Switch seems to be pretty much the same as before, but with Wireless and QoS removed
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can speak volumes for switch. You do not necessarily need the new books. I bought the new book anyway but from what I have seen almost everything is the same minus a few small topics (SPAN/RSPAN/Sackwise/VTPv3) which you can probably read enough online. However more exam targeted reading will probably come from the book so I would never openly discourage someone from getting the book.

I can't really speak much for ROUTE or TSHOOT.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We can all understand being on a budget. However I would still consider finding the cash for the extra book. If you are studying at the CCNP level then this is presumably what you want to make a career out of.

If there is truly not enough money in your budget then I am sure you can find all of the info online. Books just put it together neatly for you.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just read the objectives and learn them. Some exams do not have books new or old. As long as you know you're stuff you'll be fine.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be buying the old Odom book in addition to the new one by Wallace for ROUTE. Unfortunately the SWITCH books are by the same author. I always like to study from multiple sources. As far as the CCNP SWITCH Simplified book, I think it's a good read, and it has labs on QoS and Wireless which you won't find in the new materials(I know they no longer test on it, but just for fun!)
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If, and WHEN, that I fail a $250 test. I don't want to wonder if a $40 book would have made a difference. The time value of money compared to 3 months of studying is the important consideration imo.