Options

Route or Switch first?? Time is of essence!

vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, quick question. First my background, I have CCNA but barely use the skills so I could use a refresher and view some vids on youtube and a little labbing. It expires end of September and I was thinking of passing a CCNP cert, either Route or Switch. Is it doable in 5 months time? Or should I just do CCNA due to deadline for recertification and my noobness on the Cisco stuff atm?

Comments

• Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Switch covers less material in my opinion and therefore could be faster to study for.
  • Options
    Sweet, didn't know that tidbit. That is definitely something I was looking for in determining which exam to go for. But switch, it looks like I need physical switches, unlike the route, I heard everything can be done in gns3?
  • Options
    You can do many things in layer 2 IOU and then you can rent some rack time for features that real hardware.
  • Options
    3550s are also pretty cheap on Ebay if you want to go that route. Cheapest possible lab that would be something like two 3550s and then two layer 2 switches like 2950s. I'm not that informed on the various models and such, but I don't think it will set you back more than $150-200. If you just want to pass the exam, rack time can be cheaper though.
  • Options
    cool, where do you recommend a lab rental time? I'm looking for cheap and I'm trying to reduce my electric usage already so lab rental is more desirable.