Options

when will MCSA 410, 411, and 412 be retired?

jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm wondering when they will be retired. I was planning on starting the exam prep, but if it's going to change soon, I'll wait. Does anyone know by chance?

Comments

• Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it will be retired any time soon. You can still earn the MCSA: Server 2008 certification.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Microsoft's retirement of exams was originally after the second generation of a release or the support end date. However like thatguy67 stated 2008 MCSA is still a viable path. Microsoft is trying to get back to the pre-Balmer days and will probably keep 2012 alive for a very long time. As for if you should wait... NO! Do it now... Server 2012 is being used today and will be used for many years to come, which makes you extremely salable. When a new server OS comes out sysops don't just blindly upgrade they upgrade as needed. I.E. if the next server version is to be released in 2016 it will not be widely installed until 2018 or a few years after that. Sysops don't generally follow the forced upgrade path that retail consumers do.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks friend. I'm going to order an all in one book today and start studying.
  • Options
    nkosiv@gmail.comnkosiv@gmail.com Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many companies are still using 2003 and they will be upgrading to 2008, this means those who possess MCSA 2012 are more valuable since most companies will be migrating to 2012.
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Many companies are still using 2003 and they will be upgrading to 2008, this means those who possess MCSA 2012 are more valuable since most companies will be migrating to 2012.
    I'd have thought anyone running 2003 would migrate to 2012 rather than 2003.
  • Options
    SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pjd007 wrote: »
    I'd have thought anyone running 2003 would migrate to 2012 rather than 2003.

While the logical thing would be to migrate directly to 2012 R2, not all companies are doing it. Over the last year, I've migrated several mid-size companies from 2003 to 2008 R2. For various reasons, they didn't want to make that big of a jump.

Some companies, even large ones hold onto old operating systems forever. The year before last, I had a project to migrate 30 Windows NT 4.0 domains into a Windows 2008 R2 forest. The only reason they finally got around to upgrading was because they were rolling out new Windows 7 PCs and a Windows NT domain doesn't support Windows 7 clients. icon_rolleyes.gif
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My job is about to do a major network refresh, switching over to server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1. So it will be in use for years.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All migrations I have done over the last 2 years have been to 2012. A few of them had 2008R2 RDS just for the end user experience. In my opinion most companies that do not get current is because they have some ignorant person heading IT who does not like change. These people will try to hold onto things forever and do not want to upgrade systems or software and are stuck in this archaic thinking of if things are not broken don't fix them. This eventually leads down the rabbit hole of major failure or major expense and headache of change down the road. This industry has started moving faster in the last few years and cycles are getting much shorter which will make organizations get behind even faster if they are not careful. Many software companies are even dropping support for older Operating systems.
  • Options
    Renee SimonsRenee Simons Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've found it's not usually the IT person holding onto the old o/s, but whoever controls the checkbook. If they don't have an IT background, they just don't get the need for upgrades until their accounting systems start crashing around them.