Options

Anyone pass Network+ without having an IT background?

VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

New to the forums and attempting to take my Network+ in the next month or so. Although the title of my thread might be confusing, my field is a bit related to IT a little bit (going for my PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering). To date I'm going through Lammle's book again, worked through Test-Out (mostly), took 2 courses at my local community college since my university doesn't really teach IT.

Im just wondering, is there anyone out there that studied hard for this exam and passed without having an IT background? Just curious.

Also, for those that recently passed - what's it like? Did you over prepare?

I'm also interested in hearing from those that failed then passed.

Thanks!
VV5
B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
J.D. Candidate (2L)
In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol

Comments

• Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have to much of a networking background when I took it. I studied for 3 weeks using the CBT nugget video course from Keith Barker and CompTIA's CertMaster. I think you'll do just fine.

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's very possible, there are people on here getting CCNA's without experience. The test is mainly knowing network concepts. I read the exam cram in about 2 weeks then went through testout (except for the videos) in another 2 weeks then took the test with an 840 something. I thought it was fairly easy but I'm very interested in networks and have some experience working with them as a sys admin. Testout was a much better resource then exam cram, I could have skipped the latter altogether but A+ exam cram was great. Security+ I only used testout in ~2 weeks and passed with an 810 something.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    passed without any IT experience.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the replies. I guess I'm too worried about writing my dissertation and trying to study at the same time icon_study.gif !

One more question for now - is the Network+ scenario based? Or is it just straight memorization and multiple choice?

I've heard a bit of both.

Thanks!
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
    Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
    Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol
  • Options
    tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    Passed with 0% experience
  • Options
    AshevilleNateAshevilleNate Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed it with zero tech experience. I admit it was a lot of studying. I used as many resources as I could find. My main one was CertMaster. The only drawback is CertMaster is all multiple choice, no simulations.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also passed without any IT experience. I was interviewing at the time though.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□