Options

ICND2 or CCNA Voice?

Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
I just recently passed the ICND1 and was wondering if it would be easier to do the ICND2 for the CCNA in R&S and then go for the CCNA Voice or go straight for the CCNA voice?

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest to go for CCNA R&S first. Cisco is making a good point by requiring CCNA R&S for CCNA Voice exam.
  • Options
    SurfriderSurfrider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure what the poster above is talking about. You can now simply take the ICND1 (CCENT) and go straight into taking CCNA Voice. No requirement at all to do CCNA R&S prior.

I do suggest you consider how quickly you can study and pass the exams. If you didn't know, CCNA Voice is being phased out and merged with Video into CCNA Collaboration. The last date to take the CCNA Voice exam will be August 14th 2015. If you want it after that, it's new cirriculum as well as needing to take 2 exams for the pass (Voice and Video).

I am kinda in the same boat as you. My job is in the voice world (not IP yet) and my end goal was CCNA Voice, I have no idea if I should just go straight into the exam while I can or just complete my CCNA R&S and then work on the newer CCNA Collaboration afterwards. I must say I am hesitant to put a deadline on myself to learn Voice in 4 months, having zero experience with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ICND2. CCNA Voice is retiring soon. No point in taking it because you can't pursue the CCIE voice at all. Continue down ICND2 because Routing and Switching will get you farther then Voice will anyways. CCNA Voice - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    That's what I thought. I just didn't know which path to take.
    But with this new info, I think I will continue with ICND2 and then go towards CCNP R&S.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I think it all depend on what you currently do for work and what you wish to do for work in the future. I work in more of a voice/UC role and thus I've opted to pursue the voice and collaboration track first. If you are in a R/S role then maybe it's worth following that track first. Either way I think it ultimately comes down to what you want to be doing.

The fact that the voice track is retiring doesn't matter a great deal, if your quick you can do CCNA and CCNP Voice before they retire. Most of the stuff on the new Collaboration certs will be similar if not the same, the main difference I guess is that the exams will include video.

Either way good luck to you.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want a CCNA: Voice, you have to get it NOW. After August 14, there will be no more Voice certifications, just Collaboration which will cost a fortune to study for due to the cost of equipment and licensing to support video. I wanted to do CCNA: Voice and CCNP: Voice, but I don't think I'll have enough time to complete the CCNP.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Rather than CCNA voice, I assume you may mean CCNA Collaboration. I would suggest getting R&S first as it's the foundations which everything builds on. It will enable you to perhaps understand concepts better etc.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No point in taking it because you can't pursue the CCIE voice at all.

I don't see how CCIE relates to this post at all. There is a long way from entry level to CCIE and very few actually take it that far.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simrid wrote: »
    Rather than CCNA voice, I assume you may mean CCNA Collaboration. I would suggest getting R&S first as it's the foundations which everything builds on. It will enable you to perhaps understand concepts better etc.

He can still get the CCNA: Voice until August 14, 2015. Collaboration is a lot more expensive to study for and requires 2 exams. I don't know very many (actually, I don't know any) businesses that have video endpoints outside of maybe a big screen in the conference room. Most small businesses don't have any video endpoints at all. No sense in wasting time and money on Collaboration if you can finish Voice before the cutoff.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]