CCSP / CCIE Sec career perspective

SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
Dear members,

I was searching around on LinkedIn network engineer's profiles employed at ISPs/Telcos in UK.

I noticed that most Telco (Sky, BT, Vodafone) companies tend to hire CCIEs in Service Provider.

I was wondering if you could draw the demarcation line between the two types of CCIEs and the type of roles and companies somebody could possibly land. I might make a wrong assumption, but I think that CCIE Sec is required for boutique companies rather than large enterprise networks like ISP and Telco. Even though Network Security involves any company.

Also, I was curious to ask if it's always required to obtain the CCIE R/S before to move into any specific track.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My impression is that most telcos/ISPS are looking for people with CCIE RS or CCIE SP. CCIE Security I see more at security consultancies or large companies that have their own fully staffed IT security company.

Other tracks definitely do not require you to have CCIE R&S first. I'll be sitting my CCIE Data Center lab next friday, and the only thing I have in R&S track is a long expired CCNA.
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Can't speak for the service provider side of things but you do not have to do a CCIE R/S before doing another track. Mark Snow for example is a CCIE x 4 I think, none of which are in R/S. I also have a couple of CCIE Voice/Collab friends who don't have a CCIE R/S.
  • SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Thank you for replying.

In case I would like to find out information about the job role and the companies as CCIE sec. Could you help me to have a better picture?

Kind Regards.
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Don't forget that ISPs have business units which tend to have Security Architects / SOC teams, so a CCIE in security is a big bonus on your CV :) Also bear in mind all of ISPs you've listed run on Juniper / Alcatel :D
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work on the ISP side, but i work for a vendor.

I have seem that the ISPs have their local certified and extremely good engineers, but the majority of the work and higher certified people i see it on the vendor and consultant side.

The ISPs where i live, have their own people but for big projects hire the vendor and-or consultant companies to deploy or help support the new deployments, projects, etc.

I know a CCIE on security he was working for the consultant company that america mobile hires/has contract with for their audits, security consultancy and that supports the new deployments related with security that they have.
    He also works for other ISPs projects.
  • SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Thank you for the answers.

I wanted to be sure we talk the same language. When you say "the vendor" you mean the Cisco Partner that sells the equipment and offer its expertise for consulting. Am I correct?

Kind Regards.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SeekBytes wrote: »
    Thank you for the answers.

I wanted to be sure we talk the same language. When you say "the vendor" you mean the Cisco Partner that sells the equipment and offer its expertise for consulting. Am I correct?

Kind Regards.

The company that develops the hardware-software. U name it: Cisco, Juniper, HP, Ericsson, Huawei.