Currently Working in Security Admin preparing for CompTia Sec+

happyend98happyend98 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just looking for some advice on recommended Security certs if I am looking to work/advance to a job in IT Security Network monitoring. I currently am working for a big IT company and work with the Security Admin team supporting some fairly big clients. We administer Network Logins, RSA accounts, Unix, Mainframe etc. WE are basically the gate keepers for accounts.
I however by a natural progression feel like my interest is in Network monitoring from the Virus/Spyware/Malware side of things.Maybe some of you can give some more specific titles for those types of job roles. And maybe suggest what certification route to take. I currently am loaded up with Security+ study material. But should I be concerned about bypassing A+ and Net+??? Or should I look at another vendor (Cisco) etc, for something more related to the exact field of interest. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!:D

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network security monitoring, intrusion detection, incident response, etc. is a multi-skill role which demands a lot of background. It's a skill set that gets built up over years of generalized work and some places have one or two people cover it all, while other places have dedicated teams just for a narrow set of responsibilities for each domain.

If you're in a Windows environment, learn the ins-and-outs of the OS. Windows Internals is a good reference, although quite a bit deep. While Microsoft certification books give you grounding on how to configure features, I don't feel they're very good when it comes to conveying certain nuances for security and malware-mitigation strategies. It's been a while, but the Hacking Exposed series has a Windows book which is probably a good, practical read. I also remember reading through Windows Server 2008 Security Resource Kit.

Certs-wise, the GSEC, GCFA, GCIH, and GCIA come to mind. However, for the cost-conscious you could look at The Practice Of Network Security Monitoring, Counter Hack Reloaded, among a few others. A CCNA isn't a bad thing either, if at least just to read over the study materials.

#very-quickly-off-the-top-of-my-head
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • happyend98happyend98 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Afternoon "docrice" I sincerely appreciate the tips and advice. I feel this is an natural IT interest as a job role I truly would love to venture into. If I can get a cert or two under my belt and some general reading and self-study hoped with me already having my foot in the door I could work my way into this. I welcome any specifics and continued advisement from someone who has been there/done that or is still working in that type role.
    Terminology and some more Network experience are where I feel I'm weak and/or need to brush up on.
    Does anyone know of any beneficial websites that would benefit me in this area??
    Thanks again,

Ken