Options

Setting up Domain

CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
I may end up posting a few questions I dont understand so please bare with me.

When I see information about setting up domains they normally name the domain something to the effect of Win2k3forest.ads

Now, my company has something to the same effect.
But what is with deal with the ".ads" must I have something like that when setting up the domain or can I just put Win2k3forest?

Thanks,
Cess
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In AD, you need to use a fully qualified domain name, because AD uses DNS by default rather than the older netbios and wins.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    sprkymrk wrote:
    In AD, you need to use a fully qualified domain name, because AD uses DNS by default rather than the older netbios and wins.

So a fully qualified domain name has to have a ".XXX" on the end of it?
    Stupid smelly XXXXing A dns!! icon_mad.gif
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, but it beats the crud out of NT4 domains and their 15 character limit on names. Try running a domain with 5000 computers/users and some sort of standard naming convention on that! icon_cry.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It is possible to use a single label domain, but it is not recommended, to the point of practically not being supported. Use at least two labels to your domain name. MS recommends (and so do I) that you do not share the namespace with the internet. This can be nearly guaranteed by using LOCAL as your first level label.
    Or, you can make your AD domain a child of an internet domain that is registered to you. Such as AD.mycompany.com, W2K3.mycompany.com, intranet.mycompany.com, etc.