Ccent

boostlag90boostlag90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I finally started studying for CCENT. I have the Official Cert Guide and also the CBT Nuggets videos. Any one care to give any advice? Also I plan to pass the test in 3 months, is that enough time or should I take more?

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would also get Packet Tracer and/or GNS3 for your labs since you'll need to practice a lot. You can certainly pass this exam in 3 months but it depends on your existing experience and knowledge and the amount of time you'll spend studying.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget to have a lab setup. Whether that just be Packet Tracer or Live Equipment. Despite what some people say either way works just fine for the CCENT.

And I would say 3 months is enough time as long as your putting in about 8 hours a week. Of course everyone is different and it will matter on your current skillset.
  • boostlag90boostlag90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have Packet Tracer. I plan on studying no less then 4 hours a day. I've been in the IT field for 4 years bout haven't touch Cisco in a while. After reading the first couple of chapters of the book most of the stuff covered is a refresh.
  • crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    boostlag90 wrote: »
    So I finally started studying for CCENT. I have the Official Cert Guide and also the CBT Nuggets videos. Any one care to give any advice? Also I plan to pass the test in 3 months, is that enough time or should I take more?

I wouldnt plan to pass self studying in 3 months, dont force yourself into a corner like that. Plan to pass when you feel confident you know the material and can easily achieve a 90+ on a practice exam and can ace any simulation thrown at you thats covered in the exam objectives.
    I would definitely not say 3 months is cornering himself. It is an entry level cert. If he is studying 4 hours a day (which sounds pretty crazy to me, but if you got the time more power to you) 2 months should be way more then enough time. Once he has subnetting down, a lot of the other material is just memorizing command lines on how to set things up. Nothing too crazy.

The INCD1 section of most CCNA books are what? like 300 pages. He could read that a couple times with in 2 weeks with that much time.
  • boostlag90boostlag90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely not say 3 months is cornering himself. It is an entry level cert. If he is studying 4 hours a day (which sounds pretty crazy to me, but if you got the time more power to you) 2 months should be way more then enough time. Once he has subnetting down, a lot of the other material is just memorizing command lines on how to set things up. Nothing too crazy.

The INCD1 section of most CCNA books are what? like 300 pages. He could read that a couple times with in 2 weeks with that much time.
    HAHA Can you study to much in one day? I have alot of free time at work so I figure I would put it to good use.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227

CCENT book was 700 pages,
    icnd 2 by itself was 350

and thats a entry level cisco cert. not comptia. 3 months is obtainable though, just matters what you put in. not everyone can do it in that time. some struggle to ever get it done lol
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The debate on time frame is always pretty funny to me.

I personally took a year to do it following the timeline of my college course. It definitely could be done quicker but speed was not my issue.
    What I find limits people is their own motivation to study hard. This is entry level but you need to put in effort to understand it. Some people will get it quicker then others.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I started studying for it late last year but since no exam was scheduled I didn't put in crazy amounts of time. Its easy to be distracted with a career, wife and a new-born but that's life. Now I have my CCENT scheduled less than a month out (May 11th) and I'm wondering if I gave myself enough time. I can subnet in my sleep but I know nil about OSPF which to my understanding is a pretty substantial portion of the exam. Worse case scenario? I push out the test date- no sense in going to an exam unprepared.
    CCENT book was 700 pages,
    icnd 2 by itself was 350

and thats a entry level cisco cert. not comptia. 3 months is obtainable though, just matters what you put in. not everyone can do it in that time. some struggle to ever get it done lol

Yea, your right. I was definitely off by saying it was 300 pages. lol

Everyone is different. If he is actually studying 4 hours a day though... I did it in 2 months and that was with like 2 hours a day, with some a few days off here and there. I'm with Fulcrum45, have a wife and a new-born, it is definitely a struggle to find the time and energy to study right now.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    You won't regret it! Revising is worth it, extend your knowledge and develop. GNS3, Packet trace or a home lab are a must to practice labbing.

Any questions just shoot!
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle