Options

Security+ Certified!

jshookzjshookz Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ this morning with a 783!! I'm so excited right now!

Two months of studying with:

-Darril Gibson SYO-401 Study Guide
-LearnZapp App Security+
-CBT Nuggets

No prior IT experience before this but I'm in the computer room in the air force so there requiring we get this certification. Plan to knock out A+, Network+ next and enroll in WGU!

Comments

• Options
    Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Wow, only two months of studying. Nicely done. I'm currently studying for the Network +. Trying to do it in 2 months as well. After that, I will attack the Security + and pass that so that I may have the core certifications since I already have my A+. Studying for the A+ might take a little longer since you are really studying for two exams. Anyway, good luck. icon_thumright.gif
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • Options
    tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    How difficult was the exam? Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    jshookz wrote: »
    Passed Security+ this morning with a 783!! I'm so excited right now!

Two months of studying with:

-Darril Gibson SYO-401 Study Guide
    -LearnZapp App Security+
    -CBT Nuggets

No prior IT experience before this but I'm in the computer room in the air force so there requiring we get this certification. Plan to knock out A+, Network+ next and enroll in WGU!

Congrats on the pass!

tmcg wrote: »
    How difficult was the exam? Congrats on the pass!

Generally, if you have any technical understanding (network, etc) the exam will be easier for you to tackle. This is probably why so many people recommend taking at least the Network+ before tackling this.

The policy stuff can be a bit challenging as there's tons of acronyms to memorize; and I'm sure the fact that the policy stuff bores most people doesnt make it any easier to study and digest. FWIW, I was able to go from zero to Sec+ in 3 weeks; I have a pretty strong network background but wasnt all that familiar with a lot of the policy topics.

As with any CompTIA exam, practice exams will help as you'll need to acclimate yourself to "answering in the CompTIA way" more than anything else.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on getting your Security+ certification!
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on a pass!!
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! That Darril Gibson book is perfect for this exam. (His A+ book is right on the money too)