So many numbers, so much frustration.

bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
I take my 801 exam in 2 weeks and I am freaking out. I can't seem to memorize all of the specs for different cables, expansion cards, hard drives, etc etc.

I am understanding concepts, but the numbers are proving to be more difficult.

Advice? Words of wisdom? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE CALM ME DOWN?

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Needs more cats.

A+ certified
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL @ cyberguy

Breathe betty! One day you will look back at A+ (the day after you pass) and realize what a joke that was. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    Flash cards. Seriously the only way I learned that useless info was by making a huge stack of flash cards, and I mean big! Read them yourself, but also have someone else read them aloud while you answer them!

Not sure if I am allowed to post links like this but I used the info on this site to create my flash cards.
    A+ Certification All-In-One For Dummies **** Sheet - For Dummies

The worst thing about the A+ is the insane amount of money it cost to take. But if you are lucky your job will pay for it!

Good luck and do not stress yourself out!
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
    I made some flashcards on Quizlet. I have been getting to work early in the morning to study and I think I am burning myself out a little bit. I am going to take this weekend off and just chill out and do some leisure reading.

A+ certified
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Betty, open up a laptop or a desktop pc, sometimes working with your hands and actually touching the cables and seeing the boards and equipment infront of you helps with the information sinking in.
  • SeaRipSeaRip Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what I did and it really did help, but I only have access to 2 laptops. The hard thing for me is finding other desktops/laptops that you can rip apart so I can see a variety of connections. I have been scouring Craigslist for cheap ones that nobody wants, but believe it or not that has been a less then fruitful endeavor. I am sure I am just not putting enough effort into it, plus I am strapped for cash, so I would rather not pay for it or at least keep it under $20. I mean a non-working computer is nothing more then a paper weight to the common person so I figured I was helping them out taking it off their hands. Does anyone have any other ideas of ways to get your hands old PC's?
    SeaRip wrote: »
    Does anyone have any other ideas of ways to get your hands old PC's?

I was lucky enough that my brother had a couple lying around. How much are you looking to spend? We have 2 and I don't need 2- I would be willing to ship one to you if you pay for shipping.

A+ certified
  • sysadmin101sysadmin101 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Calm down relax . I know the feeling. All i can say study study. Good luck. I will be taking 802 this week if i don't chicken out.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Betty, open up a laptop or a desktop pc, sometimes working with your hands and actually touching the cables and seeing the boards and equipment infront of you helps with the information sinking in.

Hands-on experience is the best way (IMNSHO) to understand how all the hardware 'numbers' work. You simply need to use the material to 'get' it. Hence the A+ candidate is one who has approximately 500 hours of work experience (and that would be more experience than a mere board swapper). Short of job experience (or intern or job shadow) getting some older equipment and going through the motions several (hundred) times helps. Now, many of the technologies overlap, so handling two or three different type/era will carry one a bit on this learning journey. The more you know, the better your troubleshooting skills will be.

(and when I walk into an Apple store, you won't be the kid who asks, "What's that" to my response, "It's a battery (from a MacBook Pro)". Then again, he was likely still in grade school when that laptop was released, but I should have been able to walk in and buy a battery...I digress.) Point being, don't be like that guy. Know your hardware!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Chuynh22Chuynh22 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I definitely agree that hands on has helped memorize a lot of the parts.
    Looks like I will be ripping apart a computer this weekend! Exciting!

A+ certified
  • SeaRipSeaRip Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bloodshotbetty, that is so nice of you to offer, but over the weekend one of the people from Craigslist that flaked out on me actually came through and it was only $20. So now I have an old Dell to dissect, but thank you very much for the offer!!
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure you'll do just fine. I didn't pass my A+ the first time around, don't sweat it!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!