taking ICND 1 Monday, what last minute studying do you suggest

crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im a subnetting wiz can figure out most questions in my head. I know basic configs very well and have been using alot of practice exams to get me ready for monday. Im mostly wondering what particular simulations i should focus on before monday. I have basic config, ospf, and ACLs down pretty good.

edit: i use packet tracer.

Comments

• crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow..... so i decided to stop using a calculator to prepare for my test....i couldnt remember how to do long division had to look it up..... so sad.....
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have your show commands down. Also, be able to draw conclusions just from looking at the running-config.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sleep good. Eat a good light meal before testing. Read questions slowly.

I don't believe in cramming the night before. Skim topics if anything just to keep them fresh in your head.

Good Luck!
    i have show commands down solid as well as running config. I took a full 4 semester netAcad course in college in 2013, failed the combined exam by 10 points in september a week before the exam changed to what it is today. I let it get to me and gave up cause i had a really good paying job in sales but lost that job in april last year. Got a grant to go back to school and went to new horizons got my A+ and a IT support job and my boss lets me study cisco at work so ive been studying during downtime at work since January. I am much more confident in my abilities than i was when i took it in 2013 and now also have some real world experience I helped set up our warehouse's network he let me configure a switch and help install everything on the rack it was a great learning experience.

I think that due to failing the test in 2013 im trying to over prepare for it now i can easily get an 85-90 on practice exams im just scared to death of being caught unprepared for a sim like last time. Last time i botched a sim i completely drew a blank and couldn't figure out i just needed to redistribute routes.... if i would of remembered then i would of passed. I also think it was a mistake to take the full exam which is why now im just doing ICND1.

Ill let you guys know how it goes!
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    i have show commands down solid as well as running config. I took a full 4 semester netAcad course in college in 2013, failed the combined exam by 10 points in september a week before the exam changed to what it is today. I let it get to me and gave up cause i had a really good paying job in sales but lost that job in april last year. Got a grant to go back to school and went to new horizons got my A+ and a IT support job and my boss lets me study cisco at work so ive been studying during downtime at work since January. I am much more confident in my abilities than i was when i took it in 2013 and now also have some real world experience I helped set up our warehouse's network he let me configure a switch and help install everything on the rack it was a great learning experience.

I think that due to failing the test in 2013 im trying to over prepare for it now i can easily get an 85-90 on practice exams im just scared to death of being caught unprepared for a sim like last time. Last time i botched a sim i completely drew a blank and couldn't figure out i just needed to redistribute routes.... if i would of remembered then i would of passed. I also think it was a mistake to take the full exam which is why now im just doing ICND1.

Ill let you guys know how it goes!

Which practice exams are you using? From what I remember about my ICDN1 studies is that the practice exams were harder than the actual exams, so if you're scoring in the 90s you should be all set. I found the Boson ones to be the best because they included sims and simlets. The Pearson "part reviews" from the Odom OCG CD are also pretty good and probably tougher than anything you will see on the exam.
  • showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Revise the powers of 2. And learn by heart hexadecimal to 4 bit binary from 0 to F.

Practice subnetting, overlapping vlsm subnets, adding a new VLSM subnet.

Do a couple of ACL, NAT & VLAN labs.

OSPF is too simpligied in CCENT. Route summarization is a piece of cake.

There remains IPv6, OSI & TCP/IP Fundamentals, which I presume you know.

And repeat show commands & their outputs for troubleshooting issues.

You are going to make it. Good luck!
    I passed with an 864!!!! knew i passed before i submitted last question as i kept a tally of the questions i knew i knew and the ones i had to make an educated guess with. Much easier than i anticipated!
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
  • On a MissionOn a Mission Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation!! Any advice you have to offer those about to take the test?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    My advice for you, since I'm doing it. Study your heart away, eat - sleep - crap Cisco; no one every failed by not studying hard. icon_wink.gif

One thing to add that I have the honor of doing is my home-lab has Cisco, HP, and Netgear smart/managed switches but recently my employer has acquire Dell N2000 series switches and the CLi is very similar to Cisco. But I can tell you working with all the different vendor of switches, the same principles I've learned from the CCNA study can all be reverse engineered into these brands.

...But at some point you just need to sit the dam exam, My biggest problem is I'm a information sponge I need to know everything really well.

To me a certification exam is a test of what I already know, cause once you get that piece of paper and you toot about it people expect you to know it. Not forget it in 2 weeks after you spent 2 months cramming it all into your skull only for it implode into oblivion in your skull afterwards. ;)