In RIP, can you see less preferably (alternate) routes like in EIGRP?

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
Like in EIGRP, you can see backup routes in the topology table, well at least you can see alternates Routes, they migh or might not be used depending on the feasability condition.

But can I see alternate Routes for RIP in the database?

Comments

• crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Show ip route will show all available routes in the table including those with a higher admin distance.
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Doesn't it just only show the best route it chose? I;m asking for the route which are not considered the best route. In EIGRP they are visible in the topology table.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Administrative distance is not relevant here. All of the RIP routes have the same A.D. obviously but a different cost. To the OP, I am not familiar with RIP, but show ip route will not help I'm guessing.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Administrative distance is not relevant here. All of the RIP routes have the same A.D. obviously but a different cost. To the OP, I am not familiar with RIP, but show ip route will not help I'm guessing.

Edit: I google'd it

If the IP prefix already exists in the RIP database, the metric in the incoming route update is compared with the metric in RIP database. Only the best RIP routes are retained in the RIP database (the RIP database has no backup information like the EIGRP topology table).

If the RIP route cannot be inserted in the IP routing table (another route with a better administrative distance is already present in the IP routing table), it’s not stored in the RIP database.

• FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Edit: I google'd it

If the IP prefix already exists in the RIP database, the metric in the incoming route update is compared with the metric in RIP database. Only the best RIP routes are retained in the RIP database (the RIP database has no backup information like the EIGRP topology table).

If the RIP route cannot be inserted in the IP routing table (another route with a better administrative distance is already present in the IP routing table), it’s not stored in the RIP database.

That was the answer I was looking for! Where did you find this?

So that means that whatever is in the RIP database is in the Routing table, correct?
  • cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is one of the reasons that RIP is less efficient. Any time a route goes down it has to recalculate its routing table.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1