Options

Server+ Beta Exam - Study Tips

Echo64Echo64 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just got back from taking the Server+ Beta Exam (SK1-004) and I thought I'd go over some of the topics to study for.

• UPS. Lots of questions regarding phases, voltages, AC vs DC
  • Hard Drives. Know the types of drives, controllers, and components like types of caches
  • Server Racks. Know the Us, how to figure out the inches ( U# x 1.75 )
  • Ethernet. Lots of questions regarding cable types, CATs, and maximum length
  • RAID. I was led to believe there would be a ton of questions on RAID, but honestly there weren't that many. Just know the basics like minimum disks, fault tolerance, and space. I've included the info I used at the bottom.
For $50 I'm glad I took it, even though I only had a week to study. Now I just have to play the waiting game, most likely until next year, to find out if I passed! ncool.gif

Study Stuff

RAID 0 - MIN 2 DISKS - USED FOR SPEED - NO FAULT TOLERANCE
RAID 1 - 2 DISKS ONLY - MIRROR OR DUPLEXING - FAULT TOLERANCE
RAID 3 - MIN 3 DISKS - 1 DISK IS PARITY - SPEED AND FAULT TOLERANCE - 1 DISK CAN FAIL
RAID 5 - MIN 3 DISKS - PARITY IS SPREAD ON ALL - 1 DISK CAN FAIL - HARD TO RECOVER
RAID 6 - MIN 4 DISKS - VERY HIGH FAULT TOLERANCE - 2 DISKS CAN FAIL - COMPLEX CONTROLLER
RAID 10 (1+0) - MIN 4 DISKS - MUST BE EVEN NUMBER - EXTERME FAULT TOLERANCE - MULTIPLE FAILURES
RAID 50 (5+0) - MIN 6 DISKS - MUST BE EVEN NUMBER - EXTERME FAULT TOLERANCE - MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF RAID 5 (REQUIRES 3 DISKS)

1-1\number of disks = ANS // total strorage x ANS = Answer

Calculate inches rack = Us x 1.75

Comments

• Options
    shaykhshaykh Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,
    So they dont tell you your score and pass or fail when your done ?
    Is that because its a beta?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah they sent an email to people saying that once the final exam launches in 2015/2016, your score will be determined then. It sucks because you don't find out then but for $50 it is worth the chance I think.
  • Options
    shaykhshaykh Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man thats messed up, They should have said that on the site..
  • Options
    owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @shaykh: They (CompTIA) clearly say it on their site devoted to: Serwer+ & Serwer+ Beta:

"[h=3]Get Certified for Less – Take the Server+ Beta Exam![/h] Don’t miss your opportunity. CompTIA is looking for IT professionals to participate in the Server+ beta exam (SK1-004). Those who pass the exam will become Server+ certified at the time the final exam launches, in the last quarter of 2015 or the first quarter in 2016.

"
    Check here: CompTIA Server+ Certification.
  • Options
    Rizzo84Rizzo84 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck to whoever is taking this beta exam. My friend just told me about this exam and i'm taking it May 1st. I'll have about 10 days to study for it. Im using pluralsigt plus measureup labs to study for it. I'll probably pick up some literature for good measure. Thanks for the tips!