Options

Considering Changing to BSIT track from BSIT - SF at WGU

it.nv_lait.nv_la Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I am into my 2nd term at WGU and I have already obtained my Network +, Security + and Project + CompTIA certs. I thought about it and I seem to only need between 2 and 4 diffrrent classes from the regular IT degree where as the Software Emphasis there are more programming classes that I would need to take. I was thinking back to my AAS days and I felt that the programming class Python & Raptor in intro to programming were difficult but I was able to pass the course. Not to mention the book was not aligned to the course and was outdated. Weighing my options.I have 11 courses left in the SF track.

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I changed from BSIT - Networking to just the BSIT
    Saved me like 3 classes and didnt have to take the Server 2008 classes either so it was a no brainer.

You can have your mentor look at what carries over and what doesnt. In my case it really saved me time and effort.
  • Options
    it.nv_lait.nv_la Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll ask next time I chat with my mentor. I am thinking of switching right before I go into my 3rd term. I am in my 2nd term now. Hoping to cram in more classes that I see that are in the BSIT track. That would be awesome if I can eliminate a class or 2.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah lets us know what your mentor says.
    Hopefully save you some time.
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey I switched to just the BSIT as well. Was a great decision. No point in stressing in all the extra certs when you could focus on finishing more quickly with the easier expectations.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it will save you time, effort, and money, go for it. You can leverage the regular BS:IT degree to land whatever type of position you like, so not much of an issue there.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the actual degree that they send you say "Information Technology" regardless of what your specialization was? If that's the case, then I'd say definitely switch over!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)