Advice on new job offer?

z335isz335is Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker here, but first-time poster. I just received a job offer today and was hoping you could lend some advice on whether I should accept or not. I'll first list my current role, salary, etc followed by the new job:

Current Role
Senior Systems Analyst (6 years at company, healthcare industry)
Salary - 75k + 5% yearly bonus
401k - Company matches 4 of the first 6 percent

Potential Role
Systems Engineer (biopharma industry)
Salary - 90k + 7% yearly bonus
401k - Company matches 150 percent of the first 6 percent (so if I put in 6 percent, they would put in 9)

The commute for both is about the same, but maybe slightly longer for the new job by a mile or two. The new job is also in a newly renovated office. I know the numbers (and my wife) say that it's a no-brainer, but the comfortability factor with my current job is what I think about.

Thank you for the help

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grass always seems greener on the other side. However, with you being in that current role for 6 years, and it seems like you can at least tolerate the job I would be careful. If the new position brings you closer to where you want to be not only financially but also skill wise I would interview and consider.

See if you can get the salary up a little more and maybe get some additional perks like paid schooling or courses/training.

Just from the information you layed out I would lean towards the second one but it's not a no brainer IMO.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sometimes it's good to step out of your comfort zone. I am not sure what the driving force is here, as you didn't mention anything about the duties. Are you looking for a new challenge/role or just more money?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't care what anyone says, people are always going to be a little nervous about going to a new job. Learning a new company's environment can be difficult at the beginning. But if you liked the environment (new offices are always nice) and position sounds like something you'd like to be doing I can't see why you wouldn't take it. It's part of a career to keep growing and take on new challenges.

The position definitely looks better on paper to me.
  • z335isz335is Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry I should have expanded a bit more in my initial post. My current company was bought out by another about two months ago, so that was kind of the impetus here.

I don't think I'm in any danger right now, but you never know with aquisitions.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That obviously adds more information which should help you make a decision.

I would ignore what everyone says to be honest and go with what you feel is right. No one on this forum has a better idea on this situation than yourself.
    N2IT wrote: »
    That obviously adds more information which should help you make a decision.

I would ignore what everyone says to be honest and go with what you feel is right. No one on this forum has a better idea on this situation than yourself.

Yes, very true. On paper, there is no question I should take it, but having been at my current company for 6+ years it's tough to get out of that comfort zone. This role would definitely be more of a challenge, but like others have said, leaving one's comfort zone and taking on new challenges can be a good thing.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    z335is wrote: »
    you never know with aquisitions.

Actually, you do, or at least you should. We may want to make two assumptions here:

1) Usually (majority of cases) this certain acquisition is just another one in a chain of acquisitions for acquiring company.
    2) Past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior.

So just go and dig google, forums, read and ask, connect with former employees of acquired companies on linkedin and try to figure out what happens with people in companies acquired by this certain corp?

And you can guess, a major rationale behind acquisitions is making existing services/products cheaper. How? By cutting costs, of course, because larger corp could spend less dollars while producing same quality service/product. And the first thing to cut here is local IT services and fire and/or digest existing IT personnel.

And you can guess, that there is less specific IT staff per server is needed to control more servers. I mean, usually acquiring corp is a large corp with its own private cloud that easily consumes and unifies all the IT infrastructure of acquired company and in the end it leaves its IT staff as it is, or adds a position or two because of increased efficiency.

So I would bet that 75-95%% of acquired company IT personnel is doomed. You case could be different, but it's like that in general.
  • kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, seems like a roll of the dice to hang around after a company is acquired if you have a better paying offer in front of you. I wouldn't personally. Especially since there's no guarantee the company you work for now will look the same as the company in 1 - 2 years time. You might be comfortable with the job, but that might change.
  • Mosaic3Mosaic3 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    20k raise, nice 401k, better title - take it. I know it's never fun being the new guy, but you don't want to turn this down and then regret it later.
  • Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Mosaic3. No regrets. What is your ultimate career goal? Does this new position get you closer to that goal? These are a couple questions you could ask yourself and evaluate. More money is always nice but should not be the deciding factor (unless it is an amount that cannot be refused).
    Rumblr33 wrote: »
    I agree with Mosaic3. No regrets. What is your ultimate career goal? Does this new position get you closer to that goal? These are a couple questions you could ask yourself and evaluate. More money is always nice but should not be the deciding factor (unless it is an amount that cannot be refused).

Yes, this position would definitely be an "upgrade" from my current title and responsibilities. At this point I'm kind of going through the "do I want to be the new guy?" and "will I be able to the job?" syndromes. I guess it's just one of those things that happens when you've been somewhere for so long and have gotten really good at what you do, but progress is progress I suppose.
  • Mosaic3Mosaic3 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, this position would definitely be an "upgrade" from my current title and responsibilities. At this point I'm kind of going through the "do I want to be the new guy?" and "will I be able to the job?" syndromes. I guess it's just one of those things that happens when you've been somewhere for so long and have gotten really good at what you do, but progress is progress I suppose.

Those are things that most everyone goes through when deciding on a new job. I was in the same exact spot years ago, didn't pull the trigger and regretted it for a long time. Not saying that your outcome would be the same, but I would think long and hard about it. Best of luck either way though!
    Thanks for all of the advice guys - I've decided to go for it! I'm a little nervous moving into the new role and with filling some of the knowledge gaps, but I think it is the best move for my family and I.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all of the advice guys - I've decided to go for it! I'm a little nervous moving into the new role and with filling some of the knowledge gaps, but I think it is the best move for my family and I.

Hopefully it is the best move. Good luck!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    and congrats for you new job..... Good
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, seems like a no brainer

good bump in pay and title
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark