Start teaching A+ class/bootcamp what does it takes?

ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello fellow geeks

So I'm thinking about staring A+ cert bootcamp or class. I have a great experience with computers since 1997 when I was still 6 years old, and this experience continued to grow with time, I'm A+ certified and CCNA also.
Currently in the last month on my MCSE IT Academy class and also taking CCNA Security NetAcad class.

So I believe I can teach A+ for IT newcomers, plus as everybody told me I have very good teaching skills.

So what does it takes to start such classes? Speaking about lab and equipment, what mobos and hardware parts should I buy.
I have DDR3, DDR2, SDRAM, SIMM sticks and matching mobos, I have celeron and pentium and core CPUs...

Do you think this is enough? I know I can show them pictures and power point slides that I can make, but I prefer to let their hands dirty a little. or what do you think?

I will use also virtual machine so we can practice installing windows and trying commands and other windows tasks.

So other having some hardware parts, long table and chairs, projector and a white board what else do I need?

Most of the guys I will teach probably I know them and some are friends.

Please advice, what are you opinions? I need extra cash as soon as possible because of medical condition the I discovered lately and my job salary wont be enough.

Thanks in advance
Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
Learning: Python, C and C++

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe find a specific book you like for it? Just to give some reading assignments.

Don't remember if it was the A+ or Network+, but one of them you needed to know how to make your own cables... Other than that, I would say the best way to learn (at least for me, I'm a hands-on learner) would be to have a computer you take completely apart and put back together. Showing and describing each part as you went along.
  • jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the most important part is make sure you have a crap load of PC's for break/fix. Make sure you have a combo of laptops and desktops. Half of the class should be lab, the other have should be study. So lets say it's a 4 hour class, do 2 hours of study and 2 hours of labs.
  • ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so basically I have to get bunch of computers. It's ok.

I think the students will be like 5 to 10 people not more, very good number for me as a start.

about the book, I didn't use one before I just used my prior knowledge and professor messer videos. So I'll check what books people recommend here.
    Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
    Learning: Python, C and C++
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    but one of them you needed to know how to make your own cables... .

I'd teach that one way or another .. Such a basic thing .. even for just fixing some broken cable .. I still know CCNAs and CCNPs who never even touched a crimp tool ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Main things get a book like the Mike Meyers Guide to A+ is fine. Read it highlight what you want to cover making sure it has all the exam objectives covered or you cover it somehow. Use power points to explain things like certain hardware and what it looks like. I would use basic desktop computers any will do I would try to get a few extra cause they may kill them also get a couple older laptops. If you can find various kinds of memory, motherboards and CPUs great you can show them what it really looks like but pictures will do.

Day one after going over what a computer is and the basics of components have them tear down a working computer and rebuild it. This will help them in many ways and you want them to get comfortable around computers. When you cover something like CPUs and show them pictures of all the kinds then have them do an lap on it. Something where they go out pull out the CPU clean it up put new thermal paste on it and reinstall it. Keep it simple at first cause you have to go from computer hardware to software then teach them some troubleshooting and a little networking.

Last thing its a boot camp and they are your friends it needs to be fun but has to have a classroom feel with an structure to it. I would do an syllabus and outline the whole class this way if someone misses they will know what they missed that day. It will help keep you on the right track.