Requirements

doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been scouring job postings with a more business/IT focus and I've noticed that for quite a few business analyst positions, you need to know Java, C++, Oracle, SQL (among others) for some positions. This is a staff position. Not a senior management position.

I've noticed a ton of these job descriptions are horse ****. Pardon my bad French. It seems they are getting quite out of hand.

The other day I noticed an INTERNSHIP asking for the candidate to be CPA qualified. Kind of odd to see that for an intern spot. I also saw an associate accountant spot, asking for 6 years general ledger and COBIT experience (lol). Associate. The entry level.

Anyone else notice an upward trend in higher qualifications, little pay, shoot for the moon, land in the stars kind of HR requirements?

This is crazy. I swear, job hunting 3 years ago just before graduating wasn't this bad.

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most HR people aren't, ironically, known for their people skills in the first place. Let alone there technical prowess in the field of HR. I can say this as I am married to a top notch HR leader in her own right.

To answer your question. You have to wonder who writes some of this stuff and do you really expect anyone to rationally be able to fill these positions? In many, if not most cases - obviously not. They have no intention of filling these positions or are too inept to write a 'JD' worth publishing.

It doesn't get any better with seniority either. I get calls for help desk work at the very least - monthly. You must be kidding, right? Hang in there.

- b/eads
  • doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Most HR people aren't, ironically, known for their people skills in the first place. Let alone there technical prowess in the field of HR. I can say this as I am married to a top notch HR leader in her own right.

To answer your question. You have to wonder who writes some of this stuff and do you really expect anyone to rationally be able to fill these positions? In many, if not most cases - obviously not. They have no intention of filling these positions or are too inept to write a 'JD' worth publishing.

It doesn't get any better with seniority either. I get calls for help desk work at the very least - monthly. You must be kidding, right? Hang in there.

- b/eads

Well, at least you know if you ever want to step down and fix layer 8 issues, your path is paved in gold.;) Thanks. I know I'm not the only one seeing this and just face palming every three seconds.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too have noticed job postings asking for the world.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In many, if not most, cases, those "jobs" or positions are never intended to be filled in the first place or are already filled but have to be posted to satisfy a legal requirement. Say your organization is on the US Government's GSA schedule (vendor). You have to post each and every position to be made available to anyone who should wish to apply for a specified period of time. Even if your intent is to promote from within or someone is on contract, etc. There are many examples of such.

So what would you do if you had a position already filled or waiting to promote? Probably the same thing - just keep it this side of believable - for legal reasons (*ahem*). of course. Others are just too stupid to be believed and wonder why they cannot find such an animal in the zoo. Probably because no such animal exists anyway!

Business is easy, that's why there are so many people doing it. Technical stuff is hard and why we don't like "business people". Too much Busi-ness" and not enough getting things done.

- b/eads
  • doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    In many, if not most, cases, those "jobs" or positions are never intended to be filled in the first place or are already filled but have to be posted to satisfy a legal requirement. Say your organization is on the US Government's GSA schedule (vendor). You have to post each and every position to be made available to anyone who should wish to apply for a specified period of time. Even if your intent is to promote from within or someone is on contract, etc. There are many examples of such.

So what would you do if you had a position already filled or waiting to promote? Probably the same thing - just keep it this side of believable - for legal reasons (*ahem*). of course. Others are just too stupid to be believed and wonder why they cannot find such an animal in the zoo. Probably because no such animal exists anyway!

Business is easy, that's why there are so many people doing it. Technical stuff is hard and why we don't like "business people". Too much Busi-ness" and not enough getting things done.

- b/eads

Yeah. Most are posted due to laws. I think they have to post them X amount of time even though they filled it two months ago.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, and sometimes if you're close just apply, sometime's just a wall to put up to weed out the way under qualified. It can't hurt to submit your resume and worst case you're still in the same position.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)