DNS Manager

fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I've just started 70-410 and have setup my domain and AD for labbing purposes. Just a small question, but one that is annoying me. When I access DNS manager (integrated with AD) my server shows the FQDN domain name e.g. server01.test.com but in the example in the books I've been reading and on CBT nuggets, they only have the servername. I've checked my local IT admin and they only have the servername as well. Everything seems to functioning as it should and was just wondering why this is happening.
Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you connecting to a remote DNS server?

When I open it on the DNS server I get just the server name, when I connect to a remote DNS server and specify the fqdn then it displays the fqdn.
  • fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    Are you connecting to a remote DNS server?

When I open it on the DNS server I get just the server name, when I connect to a remote DNS server and specify the fqdn then it displays the fqdn.

No.Local server. I have two labs. One at work and one at home. One is Hyper-V the other is VMware. Issue is the same on both.
  • pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Silly question follows: Are you sure your server is named correctly?

If you named your server server01.test.com and then created the domain test.com the server's FQDN will be server01.test.com.test.com. In DNS manager the server name will then be showing as server01.test.com