How to format Windows for sale?

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I'm not simply asking how to format the computer, which I already know how to. What I'm really asking is how can I perform a clean install and allow the new user set up Windows the way they like, kind of like how we go through the first-time wizard set up when we purchase a brand new PC from HP, ASUS, Dell and so forth. I'm prepping my netbook for sale that I've been trying to get rid of.

I've tried looking for a way, but I keep getting the new username prompt, and I don't see a way to avoid this. I also had to install the drivers after setting up Windows. I want to avoid doing that too and make it easy for my prospective customers to set up the computer. I'll have you know that I don't have the original image as it was on a separate partition shipped with the computer, and I've overwritten it. I'm interested to know if this can be done with the OEM Windows image. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Have you checked out sysprep and the features that it provides, specifically the out of box experience. (This all depends on your version of windows which you haven't shared?)
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    What version of Windows are you trying to do this with?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh thanks for the quick reply. I'm forced to use Windows Starter since the ASUS Netbook drivers really depend on that version only due to the dual graphic chips. So, judging by your responses, I may have no luck with that. Eh?
  • moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sysprep the system after you wipe it.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Check for sysprep tool here:
    C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
    or in the System32 folder itself.

I don't have starter but I can't find anything saying it doesn't have it.

Netbooks also tend to come with built in HD partitions designed to reinstall the OS without disks so maybe that will work also?
    My ASUS netbook had a hidden system image partition on it so the consumer could not wipe it out, unless you specifically change some settings in the machine.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just to reiterate, you deleted the hidden protected partition that contained the original factory OS image?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boot Win7, Format, Install, Load your drivers in Windows ... then

C:\windows\system32\sysprep\syprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

And call it a day
    I'll have you know that I don't have the original image as it was on a separate partition shipped with the computer, and I've overwritten it.

Many of you missed the fact that I lost the partition. I formatted my netbook. :D There's no way I'd just do a quick restore from the recovery partition as I'm really paranoid about having my data falls in the wrong hand.

So, sysprep it is. I'll give this one a try when I get home.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'd re-format the drive in a 6 way NSA wipe, hand them a DVD of Windows 7 and say have fun! icon_wink.gif
    No, we did not forget the fact that you reformatted the drive, but you didn't say if you reformatted the hidden recovery partition.
    Huh? I'm totally confused now. I apologize if I was not clear in the first place. Sometime I have trouble getting my messages across.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Huh? I'm totally confused now. I apologize if I was not clear in the first place. Sometime I have trouble getting my messages across.

Most OEM computers have a hidden partition that has a copy of windows or an image to restore windows. There is likely a hidden key sequence that you must press at POST / Boot to restore your partition. I suggest you google something like "restore factory settings" and your model# for your ASUS model.