Help/Advice Needed: ICND Exam

BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Group,

While I know you all hate the "What study materials should I use....." type threads, this is sort of like that. I've done the due diligence, read the sticky, and found the two books that help to prepare you for ICND1 and ICND2. I've signed up for CBT Nuggets training, and a couple courses from Udemy (Chris Bryant CCNA Bootcamp, and Lazaro Diaz CCNA Complete Course). Do any of you gents have any experience with either of those courses?

My plan is to take the ICND1 in the fall, and the ICND2 shortly after.

As usual, thanks tons for all of the help and guidance you guys provide, means alot.
2015 Goals:
CCENT
CCNA
CCNA Security

Comments

• EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now that's a man on a mission. I watched CB CCNA Bootcamp several times over. I like how fast you go through them. Make sure you have Packet Tracer open and let Chris walk you through it. It's like watching a cooking show.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight! Is Packet Tracer an absolute necessity? I ask because I ordered this today:

CCNA & CCNA Security Standard Combo Kit - CertificationKits

I did make some adjustments though, I got:

Routers (3): 2811 512/128
    Switches (3): 3560

I skipped getting the access server (mistake?).

Also, i've decided screw going for ICND1, then ICND2 separately, gonna do it all in one whop.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even with a lab I ended up using GNS3 quite a lot and good on you for doing it all in one shot. For me the 2 exam approach was stressful enough. :)
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
    Ruminus wrote: »
    Even with a lab I ended up using GNS3 quite a lot and good on you for doing it all in one shot. For me the 2 exam approach was stressful enough. :)

Would you care to share what you had to use GNS3 for although you had a live lab? If I'm going to end up using GNS3 so much was buying the live lab really that necessary?
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    BJ4IT wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight! Is Packet Tracer an absolute necessity? I ask because I ordered this today:

CCNA & CCNA Security Standard Combo Kit - CertificationKits

I did make some adjustments though, I got:

Routers (3): 2811 512/128
    Switches (3): 3560

I skipped getting the access server (mistake?).

Also, i've decided screw going for ICND1, then ICND2 separately, gonna do it all in one whop.

It wasn't a mistake skipping now and buying later. Although I like that site, I know for sure they charge to much for the access servers.

I have a feeling you will want one, and may I suggest looking on ebay and searching for 'Digi CM-16' (or CM-4icon_cool.gif.

I've used the cisco access server, but I really love how the digi works.

BTW,

You are starting off with one hella of a setup icon_thumright.gif
    Might have went a little overboard with the upgrades starting off, but eventually you might would have ended up with what you ordered.
    HAMP wrote: »
    It wasn't a mistake skipping now and buying later. Although I like that site, I know for sure they charge to much for the access servers.

I have a feeling you will want one, and may I suggest looking on ebay and searching for 'Digi CM-16' (or CM-4icon_cool.gif.

I've used the cisco access server, but I really love how the digi works.

BTW,

You are starting off with one hella of a setup icon_thumright.gif
    Might have went a little overboard with the upgrades starting off, but eventually you might would have ended up with what you ordered.

Hamp thanks for the input! Yes, as far as those upgrades are concerned I did it with the thinking that I'd be using this setup as my base, and build off it when it comes time for CCNA Security, and eventually CCNP (which is a part of my 5yr goal). Im just hoping that the training material that I have, and the live lab that I bought, that it will be enough for me to take (and pass) the exams come fall.

Another question for you guys, would it have been worthwhile to get the 2821 Router, and the 3750 switches? I could've afforded that upgrade on all three routers and switches (in fact, I can still make that adjustment as my order hasnt shipped yet).

Thoughts?
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
    Great lab! You will be able to nail the L2 & L3 protocols like a pro, except for Frame Relay, you'll need Packet Tracer only for Frame Relay then.

3750 are only worth if you plan on stacking switches together. If you hold yourself to a higher standard of certs than the CCNAs they could be worth it.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
    Guys, I just want to thank you all so much for all of the input and advice you are sharing, it means a heck of alot to me, and I will make sure the information doesnt go unused. I do have a few more questions now, based on the information that i've been given from you guys.

1. Not to keep beating a dead horse, will the Lazaro Diaz Complete Course, and Chris Bryant CCNA bootcamp suffice for my training with a live lab? CBT Nuggets? If there is anything else that i'd need to supplement this, then by all means, please let me know.

2. For Frame relay, it is to my understanding that i'll need a router with a serial interface. Cant I add cards to the Wic slots so that the live lab will be able to handle Frame Relay as well? I ask this because im trying to have my lab be as self sufficient as possible with little to no need for GNS3 or Packet Tracer.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lazaro Diaz course is horrible imo. Your best bet is to use Paul Browning. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNA-Days-Paul-Browning-ebook/dp/B00IY5FP2G I can vouch for his product because I used his book, Boson Practice exams, and Netsim software and passed CCENT/CCNA in 60 days (I took like 70 because I am in college finishing up my degree and clubs plus partying etc.) His book is really all you need. It is worth the $10 for the ebook. The paperback book is good also but it is almost $70. Follow his plan the way he has it setup and I can bet you will pass.
    Lazaro Diaz course is horrible imo. Your best bet is to use Paul Browning. Amazon.com: Cisco CCNA in 60 Days eBook: Paul Browning, Farai Tafa, Daniel Gheorghe, Dario Barinic: Kindle Store I can vouch for his product because I used his book, Boson Practice exams, and Netsim software and passed CCENT/CCNA in 60 days (I took like 70 because I am in college finishing up my degree and clubs plus partying etc.) His book is really all you need. It is worth the $10 for the ebook. The paperback book is good also but it is almost $70. Follow his plan the way he has it setup and I can bet you will pass.

MastaFlash thanks for the input! What was it that you disliked about Lazaro Diaz's course? I've heard nothing but good things about his course. While I didnt hear anything bad per se about Paul's course, I did hear that he solicits reviews pretty hardcore, which inflates the real reviews on Amazon, so its difficult for me to tell the real from the fake. Considering you have your CCNA already, your input is extremely valued.

You guys are awesome!
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
    You will have to do some research for supported models, version, interfaces. From what I read from my 10 minutes research the 2811 should support the frame-relay switching command.

See this from more insight:
    https://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=CCNA_Practical_Studies&seqNum=109

Cisco Frame Relay Configurations > Configuring Frame Relay