Options

Newbie Question !!!!!!!!! 70-640

Fizzy123Fizzy123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would like to apologise if I have posted in the wrong section.

Im 33 and am trying to change my career. I have been offered a job on the basis I pass 70-640 exam within a months time.
I have been enrolled onto itacademy and find that there is far too much content to learn within this time frame. Is this not an unrealistic target ? I have never worked in IT before and finished my degree 10 years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fizz

Comments

• Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    TBH one month is too short for many with no experience for the 2012 version. That one would take me 1 month when I have 2 years of working a lot with Server 2008 R2. I've heard the 2008 R2 version is easier though. Still, if you have the time and are good at studying, it isn't impossible if you have the right training material, but you need the motivation to be serious about it
  • Options
    Thanks nster.

What reading material would you recommend ? The it academy seems like an overkill on information to me.

The lady who offered me the position told me not to concentrate on the labs at all. It seems contradictory to what Ive read everywhere.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, you have nothing to lose by studying for it and taking the test. If you pass you get the job. If you don't pass you might not get that job, but with some review you could take it again, pass, and potentially get a different job.

I wouldn't focus on "if it's possible to do it", I would be focused on studying to pass it. I think having a job offer conditional on passing the test is a lot of motivation to study. If I was in that situation I would purchase a voucher, set the exam date and study my butt off.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have not worked a lot with server 2008 r2, you need to lab. If you don't lab, you're gonna have a bad time.

I failed the 70-640 the first time I took it and barely passed the 2nd time. In total I studied that one about 6 months.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Better kick the wife out so I can do some work icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    70-640: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

I guess the question is, how much do you know about Server 2008 R2 Active Directory? Microsoft exams are quite difficult, even for experienced admins. I agree that it is going to require some serious studying and labbing to pass that one. I also agree that 30 days is a bit unrealistic, especially for someone with no professional experience in an enterprise environment.

If you take this exam and don't happen to pass on the first attempt, don't get discouraged. Many people fail to pass Microsoft exams on their first attempt.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I'm not mistaken this is the hardest exam. Its easy to understand if you know the basics and at the least have a foundation. Microsoft have an online lab that can help you and someone put a huge library of videos on youtube dedicate for this exam. Check those out, shoot me a message and I can send you links if you can find it.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I've heard the Microsoft books for the 2008 R2 was actually pretty good unlike the ones for 2012 R2. CBT Nuggets, if you can afford it, is a very nice resource for quick learning IMO. Videos and labbing to get you familiar with everything, Read to get more in depth learning and labs again
  • Options
    jjs1234jjs1234 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is their a chance they would prefer you to get the 2012 certification instead? They will have to upgrade in the foreseeable future. May be able to buy you time too.