Options

DNS in the OSI Model

niel4575niel4575 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey!
I'm having a bit trouble with understanding where the DNS protocol is working in the OSI Model.
From what i have understood so far, the DNS protocol is translating fx a domain name to an IP address in the application layer, but the IP address is only added to packet in the network layer - so why isn't the IP address just added in the application instead of in the network layer?

I hope someone in here can help me answer the question! :)

Comments

• Options
    awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DNS was created for the benefit of us slow-minded humans. icon_rolleyes.gif Computer equipment does not need to look up/translate IP addresses when they are talking to each other. A computer network could run without DNS at all, but you would need to remember what IP address is assigned to which host.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    niel4575 wrote: »
    Hey!
    I'm having a bit trouble with understanding where the DNS protocol is working in the OSI Model.
    From what i have understood so far, the DNS protocol is translating fx a domain name to an IP address in the application layer, but the IP address is only added to packet in the network layer - so why isn't the IP address just added in the application instead of in the network layer?

I hope someone in here can help me answer the question! :)

DNS works at the application layer. DNS is like a phonebook for the internet, it maintains the record types and does the translation between them. Network layer includes the protocols needed for communication, like IP for example. DNS is not a protocol.
  • Options
    CagePotanCagePotan Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like the guys above said, it's a Layer 7 (the Application layer) protocol. I suggest that you capture a DNS request with a packet analyzier like Wireshark, and you will see the DNS request. Here you have it nicely explained, the whole process:

Domain Name Service (DNS)