Devops salary questions

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
Devops seems to be a very hot new term in the industry.

I had an hour long phone interview today that went very well for a devops position in the Atlanta area. The CTO had mentioned they were looking to stay around the 65k range in salary.

I feel based on glassdoor and everywhere else this would be rather low, by 15-20k. The position will require AWS operations experience along with Javacoding, automation testing, database management and backup, etc.

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    65k seems on par for my area.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Really depends on the industry and size of the environment. Are you developing for an enterprise with a with a small DC deployment and an AWS DX for bursts? Probably not going to get $80k+ out of that. Working devops for a service provider with thousands of VMs, reselling AWS etc. then you're looking into six figures very easy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    You'd have to compare the responsibilities of the job to others and ignore the title. Devops could mean anything without context.
  • sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are getting screwed big time. I live in the Atlanta area as well and have interviewed for similar positions. They all paid 90k and above.
  • ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    sj4088 wrote: »
    You are getting screwed big time. I live in the Atlanta area as well and have interviewed for similar positions. They all paid 90k and above.

This is what I was afraid of too. It's not a suburbs position either, it's located in buckhead.
  • hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    What would be the salary and the duties of a junior devops guy? I saw a lot of job openings for junior devops positions on indeed and wants to apply. Learning python and AWS on my own right now also had a bit of exposure in school. Seems like the need is so great right now some company might want to take a risk at taking a junior guy and grove me up, I don't mind a 65k salary in a small market city, sounds right for me. 90k is if you have at least 4-6 years of Linux admin experience with scripting language at your disposal.
  • tt0000tt0000 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□

^^^^ This . lol Most of those jobs I am seeing are 80k lowend top end over 110k. I would not accept nothing less either. OP was that a junior level position?
    JR was not in the title. They were looking for someone to come on and quickly get up to speed with their technology stack. They are a small company and there wouldn't be many senior guys to train anyone junior. Of note, they are a startup and I was informed that was the reason behind the lowered salary. Apparently they don't offer equity or anything else to make up for the lack of salary... I guess someone should just accept it because of that reason.

With that said, after I posted this I got invited early Saturday morning via email for an in person interview on Monday. I declined and sited glassdoor and other sites salary ranges as the reason. I didn't receive a reply.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Devops in Atlanta, Phoenix, San Francisco typically starts at 100k / yr to 140k/yr. The reason is because it typically requires both system administrator experience and intermediate to expert level scripting or programming experience. Its usually a System Engineer / Admin with some programming skills (minimum requirements).

65K sounds like a very junior salary and position for a extremely hot tech economy.
    Devops in Atlanta, Phoenix, San Francisco typically starts at 100k / yr to 140k/yr. The reason is because it typically requires both system administrator experience and intermediate to expert level scripting or programming experience. Its usually a System Engineer / Admin with some programming skills (minimum requirements).

65K sounds like a very junior salary and position for a extremely hot tech economy.

I have 7 years of admin experience, and have signed up for WGU's software development program along with having some projects in various languages on my github.

They contacted me back today and said they were willing to negociate and I gave them a number of 92k. I have another position I was contacted with for dell @ 80k contract 100k perm... but we will see. I am always weary of recruiters.
    Good, don't back down from them, this is a typical startup who wants to fish out the cheap labor in the market, but wants the skills that comes with it as well. The thing is even if you come in you will likely be overwhelmed with the workload and expectations because they had to pay you more, so i'd say just go with other positions already since you are getting other interviews.
  • hurrdlethesquirtlehurrdlethesquirtle Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□

This, I used to be a recruiter in Buckhead, and working alone in Buckhead warrants 80k. The commute into Buckhead is terrible if you're working standard hours. I would say if they do not offer free parking | paying for your commute into Buckhead for a base of 75k+ (bonus) then its a rip off. Especially since those skillsets are super limited in the Atlanta Market.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    65 seems light in Atlanta. A childhood friend of mine works out of ATL 20% of the time and his base pay in a similar role is 105.
    This, I used to be a recruiter in Buckhead, and working alone in Buckhead warrants 80k. The commute into Buckhead is terrible if you're working standard hours. I would say if they do not offer free parking | paying for your commute into Buckhead for a base of 75k+ (bonus) then its a rip off. Especially since those skillsets are super limited in the Atlanta Market.

I feel kind of odd, because while I know I can do the work it's not like I have a ton of experience in anything they are looking for. I have light cloud experience along with 7+ years of systems administration and I've recently added a good bit of programming knowledge to my skill set. It's a case of the market paying a rate but I don't know if I am exactly qualified for it. It's an odd feeling.

Anyway, I have an onsite interview tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

On another note, I got an email today regarding another position that wanted a systems admin in Buckhead that would work with VMware, local San storage, escalation point for helpdesk, project work, windows server and amazon AWS support... all for the amazing max salary of 60k.
    N2IT wrote: »
    65 seems light in Atlanta. A childhood friend of mine works out of ATL 20% of the time and his base pay in a similar role is 105.

I work for company they may have a position that fits your skill-sets just let me know if you are looking for a referral :)

Also I've recruited for positions in Buckhead, and I had one position for a System Admin that had a solid background in Networking with Cumulus Media that was 75k+.

System Admins with some programming is hard to come across.
    I work for AW they have a position that fits your skill-sets just let me know if you are looking for a referral :)

Also I've recruited for positions in Buckhead, and I had one position for a System Admin that had a solid background in Networking with Cumulus Media that was 75k+.

https://rew12.ultipro.com/AIR1005/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*BDB70D00F7CAF168

Unfortunately isn't that what devops needs? Developers with infrastructure experience or system admin with programming experience?
    This is why I am studying python and AWS right now, looking to jump out of help desk since I have been doing Help desk type of job for over a year and half now
    I work for AW they have a position that fits your skill-sets just let me know if you are looking for a referral :)

https://rew12.ultipro.com/AIR1005/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*BDB70D00F7CAF168

True, I am not an expert in finding this skill-set, because I'm not in the current capacity of recruiting. The one thing I've always found interesting people tend to get hired easier of self-study of programming opposed to self-study of infrastructure, because in theory you can showcase your knowledge by what you've built.

Shoot me a PM and I would be happy to throw you my resume. AirWatch is always posting on craigslist and I've sent in my information a few times but have never been contacted.