Options

Evernote vs Onenote?

jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Wondering what everyone is using. I'm looking for a good app for work and home use.

Work: To write down all of my notes via what I did. I like to keep solid details of the work I did throughout the day.

Home: Somewhere to put all of my notes. I have a million word documents with notes on different topics. I need a central place for it all because its just getting annoying now.

I'm running Windows and Mac, so one that would work best on both. It's not a NEED, but it would be nice. I'm just curious what all my fellow IT people are using.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I use OneNote. It syncs my stuff between Windows, Mac and iPhone. I've never used Evernote so I can't say if one is better than the other but I really like OneNote.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been in the Office ecosystem forever and I've been very happy with OneNote across PC, Android, and iPad. Same as CarlSaiyed, never tried Evernote because OneNote fills my needs, plus it's approved in my highly restricted work machine, so that's always a plus.
  • Options
    jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I've been in the Office ecosystem forever and I've been very happy with OneNote across PC, Android, and iPad. Same as CarlSaiyed, never tried Evernote because OneNote fills my needs, plus it's approved in my highly restricted work machine, so that's always a plus.

Alright cool. I think my plan is to use Onenote at home and Evernote at work. I can't decide, so I'll use both lol.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    OneNote for me. For a free application syncing across multiple platforms, without the ads, I think its a great program.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use Evernote. I can take document photos and it runs an OCR on them so handwritten notes or receipts are searchable (with pretty darn good reliability in my experience). I'm a premium subscriber ($3.88/mo since I pay annually) and I get 4GB of xfer to their servers each month. I can still take notes by typing them up in the interface if I so choose and I have access to it across all platforms either by app or Web UI. Plus, a major benefit for me is Skitch access via the same login. I use this for a lot of PEBKAC errors at work. Screen shot or web clip, annotate, save, send to user, done.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    To jump on Cyberguypr's post, it depends on your ecosystem. I've moved my shop into a pure Microsoft shop (as someone who set up his first Linux box in the 90s when kernels were still in the 10's of K). If that's the case and you're moving towards consolidation of all of your services and products, then OneNote is the way to go. It links directly into Sharepoint, OneDrive, O365 Online, etc. In my industry there's a need to protect data, and Microsoft enterprise servers are HIPAA/CJIS certified, which I trust more than Evernote, and even though Evernote appears to be a solid company, I still trust Microsoft's longevity over Evernote's.

That said, there are some people even here who swear by evernote and it's a pain to get them off of it, even when they're required to use OneNote.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lost my onenote's a few months ago when logging into the android app, Microsoft couldn't restore them. Since then I've switched to evernote but I don't use it much and rely mostly on todoist. IMO evernote has the better android app, onenote has the better desktop app.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i use both for some reason. At work I use OneNote and really like it. On my mobile device though I tend to use Evernote the most.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Evernote mostly. I have OneNote but have not messed around with it much. I mostly use Evernote because that is what most of my coworkers use - its easier to share notes when everyone is on the same chain.