Completed MSISA at WGU

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
Well it has been awhile since I have been to TE, but I figured I needed to make my return. It is thanks to TE that I found WGU in the first place. I completed my Bachelors there in September of 2013, started my Masters in November of 2013.

And as of Friday the 24th, I'm officially done. I got an email today saying my degree has already been mailed.

Overall I highly recommend WGU. My Bachelors paid for itself in less than a month when I got a new job with a much higher salary. I love my current job, but I have updated my resume and sent it out to see if the Masters has the same impact.
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the kind of inspiration I am looking for. Thank you!!!
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Well it has been awhile since I have been to TE, but I figured I needed to make my return. It is thanks to TE that I found WGU in the first place. I completed my Bachelors there in September of 2013, started my Masters in November of 2013.

And as of Friday the 24th, I'm officially done. I got an email today saying my degree has already been mailed.

Overall I highly recommend WGU. My Bachelors paid for itself in less than a month when I got a new job with a much higher salary. I love my current job, but I have updated my resume and sent it out to see if the Masters has the same impact.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Hope to finish my MSITM at WGU soon.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    The MS went by way faster than the BS. Obviously it is a shorter program, and the CCENT knocked out one of the classes already. So that helps power through it. However I really hit a wall when there was about 3 courses left. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I was so tired of working on school, I just wanted to quit.

Glad I didn't, even if i don't change jobs based on this, I'm glad to be able to check that box now.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was there a lot of writing in wgu's msisa?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congratulations!
    techfiend wrote: »
    Was there a lot of writing in wgu's msisa?

Yes, well sort of.. it has 2 certs in it, so it probably has less writing than the other Master programs at WGU, but the capstone is definitely a large paper
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats, do you have that weird feeling of, I have a lot of time on my hands now.... what am I supposed to do?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I'll be looking into this within the next year when my work reimbursement kicks in.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I finished mine up last month, I enjoyed the program, will look good on your resume and using that for further job advancement!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    The MS went by way faster than the BS. Obviously it is a shorter program, and the CCENT knocked out one of the classes already.

Is there a transfer guideline to refer to? How did you find out your CCENT could knock out a course?

Congrats, 6 months for a Masters is pretty great :)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for sharing your experience!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    @nster: The course has since been updated. The CCENT course was replaced by "emerging technologies" which you cannot use the CCENT/CCNA as transfer credit.
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    da_vato wrote: »
    @nster: The course has since been updated. The CCENT course was replaced by "emerging technologies" which you cannot use the CCENT/CCNA as transfer credit.

Thanks for the info! Below is the only Transfer Guideline I could find for anyone curious like I am

https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academic/shb/transferguidelines/Documents/IT/Transfer%20Guidelines%20-%20Master%20of%20Science%20in%20Information%20Technology%20(Effective%20Feb%201%202014)%20-%20Rev%201-30-2014.pdf?web=1
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Congrats Mike!

I should graduate next year. I'm also planning on sitting for the CISSP next year as well.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on completing your degree!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good to see you on Mike. Glad things are working out and congrats on the degree!
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Awesome job dude! I completed a BS IT Sec there in 2012, and am just now signing up for the MSISA. Any Helpful hints or thoughts for a returning alumni?
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
    I completed the MSISA program in 7 weeks, I'd say just keep pushing, make sure to try to complete a task or at least a portion of it every day. There are not any completely overwhelming classes if you can at least take an hour or two a day try to complete as much as you can. Submit everything into Taskstream and take what the graders say and adjust from there. The certifications are very similar, don't be nervous if you can pass the CEH you can pass the CHFI pretty easily as well.

• yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW 7 weeks? I would love to know how you managed to accomplished that and follow your footstep? Would you share.....?
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    I completed the MSISA program in 7 weeks,
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats Mike-Mike!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    yellowpad wrote: »
    WOW 7 weeks? I would love to know how you managed to accomplished that and follow your footstep? Would you share.....?

Sure what would you like to know? I did have quite a bit of experience behind me but I was able to complete most classes within a week, only delay was with scheduling the exams but I was able to schedule one on a Tuesday and one on a Wednesday in the same week.

• H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on completing your MSISA!
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    da_vato wrote: »
    Congrats, do you have that weird feeling of, I have a lot of time on my hands now.... what am I supposed to do?

I spent the last month or two really cracking down, so it did feel pretty odd. I was done on Friday, so on Saturday I just laid around and watched a bunch of movies. I planned on spending the whole day watching Netflix/Amazon.

After the first movie I caught myself thinking, "ok, that was fun, but i need to get some work done"

Then I went back to watching movies
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congratulations guys! It blows my mind how you guys move so fast.

My first class I got a lot of assignments kicked back for revision.
    For a first time WGU student, this was extremely frustrating. I honestly said screw it for a month.
    2nd class went a lot better, only 2 revisions.

Now I'm 6/30 CU or 20% done at 75% SAP, and trying to finish LOT2 before the term ends.

I'm still facing some challenges with LOT2 Task 2 and task 3. Tips/Pointers would be appreciated.
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    I completed the MSISA program in 7 weeks

I am curious how long your BS took you. When I started, my cisco cert was still valid plus I had a few others to transfer in. I completed the program in 4 terms with a few months left. I am trying to gauge if I could come remotely close to completing in 1 term as well.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

I'm still some facing some challenges with LOT2 Task 2 and task 3. Tips/Pointers would be appreciated.

Best advice I can give you is to use the rubric as that is what they grade by. Make sure you go point by point and put what they are asking for in the work you do. Also someone else here recommended and I agree with, don't put too much time into one assignment being overly in-depth. Go through rubric, hit each point and add what they are asking for, and submit it. If it comes back, it will say exactly what they want. Then add that detail or information and resubmit.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework