Information Security Engineer Interview!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Sent my resume in yesterday and got an email to schedule a pre-interview (about 30 minutes in length) for next week. Position seems really awesome and with a financial firm. Wish me luck!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck!! :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it pretty common for you to get replies so quickly?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not common at all. Only one other time and it was actually faster. I applied for a job and two hours later I got a call, even the HR recruiter was shocked. When I called her back she said "hang on...when did you apply for this?" I said "two hours ago" and she just laughed saying "talk about a quick turn around huh?"

But other then that I get the typical days or weeks of waiting.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where are you located Grinch?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    Best of luck!!!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Knock 'em dead!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I'm in South Jersey. Thanks all!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm in South Jersey. Thanks all!

Very nice, IT is getting huge in Jersey.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! Hopefully you can use what you're learning in your Masters towards the new position!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good luck icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Grinch - You hoping over the bay into DE, or is this all in South NJ? I'm probably 30/45 out from you.
    The position is right outside of Philadelphia. The Jersey IT Market is definitely heating up a bit, but given my location I can easily go to Philadelphia, Delaware, or North Jersey without issue. Interview is on Wednesday at 3 PM. As always, thanks!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Good luck. What kind of role are you coming from?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    My formal title is Network Administrator, but I do vastly more. I deal in technical regulation, incident response, and cyber investigations. I work for a state agency and have assisted other law enforcement agencies in the state with their investigations. I also deal with regulatory compliance and technical security reviews that relate to regulations and/or guidelines. I also maintain a network consisting of over a dozen servers, switches, and firewalls. I'm responsible for the setup, maintenance, and security of each device on the network. Finally, I helped develop along with analyze and maintain an in-house SIEM. Oh and I've written a regulation or two haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, Grinch! Rooting for ya!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The position is right outside of Philadelphia. The Jersey IT Market is definitely heating up a bit, but given my location I can easily go to Philadelphia, Delaware, or North Jersey without issue. Interview is on Wednesday at 3 PM. As always, thanks!

best of luck!

I am also thinking of applying to NJ jobs. Currently live in NYC and i am not getting much response. Need tons of experience.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck Grinch, let us know how it goes...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    I had to withdrawal from the process at this time. Some family issues have come up and might require my taking time off which would prove difficult at a new job. I let them know and they told me no problem to definitely apply again when the situation normalizes.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    too bad, hope your situation works out. From your current job description it sounds like you would be well qualified
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    I had to withdrawal from the process at this time. Some family issues have come up and might require my taking time off which would prove difficult at a new job. I let them know and they told me no problem to definitely apply again when the situation normalizes.

Sorry to hear that, from your background you probably were a really strong candidate.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you pulled out of the application process, sounds like you had a strong chance of landing it too.