is the a+ certificate lame or what!

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
i finally recieved my cert in the post after it arrived from the US.

well i am pretty dissapointed as its pretty flimsy and both the cert and ID card would easily rip. i originally thought the ID card WAS APART of the A4 sheet of paper it came with!

would people recommended laminating them?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I see that you have network...you didnt realize that?

hmm...or is it that the certificate and wallet card for network+ looks different? Can't agree with you more about the A+ wallet card...it's so cheap-looking...

but I got mine laminated, now it looks half-decent....

the wallet card from Microsoft definitely looks way better, it's the same material as a credit card...and its got a 'professional' look to it.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i havent actually recieved my net+ yet but fingers crossed it will not be as bad as the a+! PLZ GOD NOOOOO!!!! lol

well i hope to be getting an mcp too fingers crossed!

check out this thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16719

looks like the Network+ kit will be just as bad. But you can become IT Pro member with CompTIA and upgrade to a better wallet card and certificate.

The MCP kits are pretty good, just hope that your postal service in your area will follow the BIG LETTERS saying DO NOT BEND.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I passed my A+ in early 2003 and the certificate is different than my Net+ and Security+ that I got this year. I actually like the old A+ certificate better.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The MCP kits are pretty good, just hope that your postal service in your area will follow the BIG LETTERS saying DO NOT BEND.
    Right. Mine have either a reading problem, or a problem in paying attention to details.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Just got my A+ certificate in the mail today as well, only took 12 days. I'll definitely be getting my wallet card laminated.
    lol....my wallet card is like the toilet paper i used at primary school!!!...its that thin if you wiped your ass with it it would disintergrate in 2 seconds lol

the card looks and feels worse than a business card. Those that hasnt should laminate theirs, it makes look like its worth something closer to the cost of their exams.
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Not to change the subject, but does anyone know if you get anything nicer with the more advanced certs like CCIE?
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    Not to change the subject, but does anyone know if you get anything nicer with the more advanced certs like CCIE?

an CCIE once said, "with my CCIE, I can look at my manager and tell them I AM RIGHT"

I wouldnt care as much about the look of the CCIE cert, the CCIE # looks nice enough already.

:)
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Amen to that brother. They should give you a special hologram tatoo and a secret CCIE handshake. After you undergo special covert CCIE ops training and complete the router crucible. icon_lol.gif
  • elathropelathrop Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To me, the whole idea is being certified. I don't care what kind of paper it's on. Did anybody ever see anything cheaper than the paper a lottery ticket is made out of? If you had one of these cheap pieces of paper with the with a 70 million dollar winner on it, would you be bummed about it because it's on a crappy piece of paper?

The piece of paper, that shows we are certified, can mean opportunity when we look beyond it's cosmetic appeal.

I'm very happy to have the ability to become certified. In the next couple of years I want to get lots of crappy looking pieces of paper.
    Webmaster for calendardaze.com ezcalculator.com and digitizedvideo.com
    I think most people are complaining about the wallet card from CompTIA...it's really thin, and can rip easily. They should at least put it on plastic or have it laminated for us. I personally dont care as much about the look of the certificate, but CompTIA id cards are pretty bad, that's why I joined their IT pro membership, can't wait till I get my 'durable' id card. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think most people are complaining about the wallet card from CompTIA...it's really thin, and can rip easily. They should at least put it on plastic or have it laminated for us. I personally dont care as much about the look of the certificate, but CompTIA id cards are pretty bad, that's why I joined their IT pro membership, can't wait till I get my 'durable' id card. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've never met anyone who bothered to separate the card from the certificate. Why would a person need this? If you were to put your number on your resume, that should be enough. If you needed to substanciate your training, you could forward a copy of your candidate history directly from the site. Just never run into a reason to carry mine, nor has anyone in the shop.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I dont like to show the actual certificate unless they ask for it. That's why I carry the card. I have had to use the publishing link technique because that's what people want to see, but so far I found that id card is most approriate for me.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I dont like to show the actual certificate unless they ask for it. That's why I carry the card. I have had to use the publishing link technique because that's what people want to see, but so far I found that id card is most approriate for me.

See, I've never run into anyone who even cared about A+ let alone seeing the certificate. Then again, I've never been requested to show my college diplomas either. ;) Maybe it's just me icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    A+ was my first certificate. It was alot procrastinating before I actually decided to get it, and it was alot of hard work while working towards it. That's why it will always have a special place in my heart.

From my other theads, you probably already know that I am thinking about getting recertify on 602 or 603. I dont care what any one else thinks, A+ will always be that one certificate I am proud of. Not to say that others are worthless or useless, but A+ was my foundation in IT, and I plan to take most pride in it.
    well i think for the amount you pay for the certification as a whole (£210) is alot of money so the least they could do is give you a decent certificate and card. i was so happy when i passed my a+ but lets face it, like bighornsheep said, it is a foundation cert. i dont regret taking it as this pushed me towards network+ and now im on 70-270. so the best thing about the a+ for me is that it inspired me to get more certifications and better experiance so i can move into advanced positions! believe me theres nothing better to pass something when you have worked hard for it - no matter if its passing the a+ or passing your driving test!

the certificate just proves i have passed it - ive looked at it once and put it in my folder!...it hasnt been out since lol.

• zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is a dumb question but where the hell do you get stuff laminated other than at your job cause I have the worst job ever atm
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    there is a copy shop down the street from me where I got my A+ card laminated. It was like $2. I think it's called Pip Printing or something like that. Look around, almost every town has one
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    Try a Kinkos or something like that.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    nel wrote:
    well i think for the amount you pay for the certification as a whole (£210) is alot of money so the least they could do is give you a decent certificate and card.

Agreed. These CompTIA certs are among the most expensive to test for (among the real common certs, anyway). You'd think they'd have the decency to give you good material to display.

When I got my Linux+ a couple years back, they gave me a transcript and a lame letter-like certificate.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I don't recall getting a wall certificate, but the wallet card they sent me in 1996 was made of credit card material, and I have a carried it ever since. It is just now starting to come apart, but I guess so would a credit card that I have been sitting on for 10 years.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    they're Cheap but what Ever I never carry mine or my Net+ or MCP

only time I even have thme in a wallet is for interviews but I use an "interview Wallet" for that has all my Cert cards in it incase I'm ever asked.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    deneb829 wrote:
    I don't recall getting a wall certificate, but the wallet card they sent me in 1996 was made of credit card material, and I have a carried it ever since. It is just now starting to come apart, but I guess so would a credit card that I have been sitting on for 10 years.
    I've got one of those! icon_cool.gif
    mvc-006f.jpg
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    deneb829 wrote:
    I've got one of those! icon_cool.gif
    mvc-006f.jpg

That's the ONE! Cool :D
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    nel wrote:
    well i am pretty dissapointed as its pretty flimsy and both the cert and ID card would easily rip. i originally thought the ID card WAS APART of the A4 sheet of paper it came with!

would people recommended laminating them?
    Hear that lol.

Laminate all the way for the ID card. Certificate has gone behind glass on the wall in the office.