please explain

NtengNteng Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone

can someone please explain the concept of port forwarding and port triggering ??? i just can't get a hang of it and it is making me so frustrated !!

thanks

Comments

• Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nteng wrote: »
    Hello everyone

can someone please explain the concept of port forwarding and port triggering ??? i just can't get a hang of it and it is making me so frustrated !!

thanks

Port Forwarding: This forwards an external network port to an internal IP address and port. This enables you to have a web server, FTP server, and other servers, but you need to have only one port for each open on the WAN side of the router. It can be any port you like; of course, you would need to tell people which port they need to connect to if it is not a standard one.

Port Triggering: This enables you to specify outgoing ports that your computer uses for special applications, and their corresponding inbound ports will be opened automatically when the sessions are established. This is helpful for things like bit torrents.

Source(s): ExamCram CompTIA A+ 220-801 & 220-802 Sixth Edition by David L. Prowse. Page(s): 469 and 470.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • NtengNteng Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks armitron77
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem Nteng. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck. icon_thumright.gif
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□