Passed the CEH today!

aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
I just passed the CEH exam today after two months of study using the materials provided by WGU. I would not say that the exam was easy, but overall I felt very underwhelmed compared to my study for the CCNA, especially after reviewing the CEH all in one guide by Matt walker, the iLabs, the iClass learning modules, and the Boson practice exams.

Any questions, let me know.
Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! WGU includes the CEH into their program? I am looking to do my masters degree. Do you have a link talking about the program that had the CEH included?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! WGU includes the CEH into their program? I am looking to do my masters degree. Do you have a link talking about the program that had the CEH included?

Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

You earn both the CEH and CHFI while completing the program.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! Now go study for something else to wash the EC Council smell off you icon_smile.gif
  • CBMiller18CBMiller18 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xeruan wrote: »
    Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

You earn both the CEH and CHFI while completing the program.

Xeruan, what are your thoughts on the MS program at WGU? I read several bad comments about that specific program online, so was curious what your thoughts were. Thanks
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    congrats on the pass! Now go study for something else to wash the ec council smell off you icon_smile.gif

hahahahahaha
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread. I know roughly nothing about the program, as I only recently applied.

aspiringsoul would be able to better answer the question.
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    CBMiller,

I am more than happy to answer any questions that you have about my experience at WGU. Overall, I would recommend the program for anyone seeking an online IT Masters. I've also heard great things about WGU's Bachelor programs.

Pros:

*The most affordable option for an Online Master's degree (or Bachelor degree for that matter)
    *Regionally accredited (this is much much better than National accreditation).
    *The MS:ISA program includes all the materials for the CEH and CHFI, as well as two vouchers for each exam.
    *Self-Paced. You set your own deadlines. You complete the degree on your own time. There is no pressure to submit certain tasks or assignments by Wednesday at 11PM, unlike some other Online Masters alternatives (traditional instead of competency based).
    *You can accelerate your progress, and possibly graduate in 6 months or less! Although this is a huge time investment and usually only accomplished by those who have experience in the Industry.

Cons:
    *Competency based education is not for everyone. Some will prefer the traditional credit hour and grade scale approach.
    *You do not receive a letter grade for any of your courses. It's a competency based Pass/Fail system. You either prove your competency, or you have to edit and re-submit your assignment until it meets the requirements of the rubric and you pass.
    *You don't have an "instructor". You have a Mentor whom you speak with on a weekly basis. This person really just answers questions and helps you to set your goals and ensures that you are on track to graduate on time (or early). You also have course mentors who you can reach out to if you are struggling on a particular task in a course.
    *Brand recognition. There are quite a few employers out there that may not be familiar with WGU, so don't expect a degree from WGU to be as recognized as a degree from say Norwich.

The ROI for the degree from WGU is awesome! You get so much for your money compared to other options. I highly recommend WGU, and I have no regrets about my decision.

My advice:

Stay away from FOR-PROFIT schools! Do not enroll in a "Nationally" accredited program. Make sure that it is "Regionally Accredited". Regional Accreditation > National Accreditation. The ROI at For-Profit schools is often much lower than Non-Profit schools.

Consider these schools:

Norwich (Reputable but expensive): Online Information Assurance Degree: Master Your Information Security | Norwich University Online

WGU: Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

DSU (Another great affordable option that is traditional instead of competency based):Master of Science in Information Assurance | Dakota State University

Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I decide to my Masters online it will probably be at DSU (mentioned above). Just something about a school with real campus sounds a lot better to me. And my wife who is HR manager recommends going to college with a onsite campus as well just because she feels it will look better on a resume. I know there is alot people on here who have a WGU degree and do well though. So that is just one person's view. Also, I live in the midwest and will probably look a lot better since it isn't too far away from me.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on passing your CEH!
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aspiring Soul... Congratulations on passing the CEH. I may take the exam next month.
  • CBMiller18CBMiller18 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBMiller,

I am more than happy to answer any questions that you have about my experience at WGU. Overall, I would recommend the program for anyone seeking an online IT Masters. I've also heard great things about WGU's Bachelor programs.

Pros:

*The most affordable option for an Online Master's degree (or Bachelor degree for that matter)
    *Regionally accredited (this is much much better than National accreditation).
    *The MS:ISA program includes all the materials for the CEH and CHFI, as well as two vouchers for each exam.
    *Self-Paced. You set your own deadlines. You complete the degree on your own time. There is no pressure to submit certain tasks or assignments by Wednesday at 11PM, unlike some other Online Masters alternatives (traditional instead of competency based).
    *You can accelerate your progress, and possibly graduate in 6 months or less! Although this is a huge time investment and usually only accomplished by those who have experience in the Industry.

Cons:
    *Competency based education is not for everyone. Some will prefer the traditional credit hour and grade scale approach.
    *You do not receive a letter grade for any of your courses. It's a competency based Pass/Fail system. You either prove your competency, or you have to edit and re-submit your assignment until it meets the requirements of the rubric and you pass.
    *You don't have an "instructor". You have a Mentor whom you speak with on a weekly basis. This person really just answers questions and helps you to set your goals and ensures that you are on track to graduate on time (or early). You also have course mentors who you can reach out to if you are struggling on a particular task in a course.
    *Brand recognition. There are quite a few employers out there that may not be familiar with WGU, so don't expect a degree from WGU to be as recognized as a degree from say Norwich.

The ROI for the degree from WGU is awesome! You get so much for your money compared to other options. I highly recommend WGU, and I have no regrets about my decision.

My advice:

Stay away from FOR-PROFIT schools! Do not enroll in a "Nationally" accredited program. Make sure that it is "Regionally Accredited". Regional Accreditation > National Accreditation. The ROI at For-Profit schools is often much lower than Non-Profit schools.

Consider these schools:

Norwich (Reputable but expensive): Online Information Assurance Degree: Master Your Information Security | Norwich University Online

WGU: Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

DSU (Another great affordable option that is traditional instead of competency based):Master of Science in Information Assurance | Dakota State University

Thank you for this great write-up!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • intnull0intnull0 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey aspiring,
    I am also enrolled at WGU in the Master's program and taking the CEH tomorrow. I purchased the Boson tests to assist in my studies and scored between 850 and 920 on all three practice exams but still nervous due to the out of left field questions EC Council uses. How would you compare the actual test to the Boson practice exams?
  • clinaclina Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats aspiringsoul!

I do have a question!

I am also going to prepare this exam. Is it important to have programming skills to study and pass the exam? If yes, how important? Or C+ basic knowledge is enough.

I am not a programmer and don't want to give up in the middle of study because of that.

Thank you very much!
  • nfrench777nfrench777 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am preparing to take the CEH V8 in the next couple of weeks. I assume from your write up that you found the Boson practice exams to be helpful and worth the investment. Did you use any other practice exams? Thanks in advance.
  • AyGitciKAyGitciK Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CEH exam today ... and the Boson practice exams.

Hi could you tell me please if 'Boson' is on trust regarding CEHv8 exam ? I will purchase 'ExSim-Max for CEH v8' prep test and I hesitate on it.

Thanks for reply.