OSI Layer and DNS

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does DNS reside on the Session Layer of the OSI model ?

Please Advise.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I believe DNS is an Application layer service.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I believe it is. DNS isn't "part" of the group of protocols that are modeled with the OSI model, it's a service that runs for the benefit of wetware (that'd be us single-core, easily crashable humans).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    DNS is layer 7 which is the application layer.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A little tip for DNS

UDP port 53 for name resolution for clients

TCP port 53 for zone transfer for secondary (and trinary, if any) DNS server
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I thought that DNS was part of TCP/IP suite, but then I thought that TCP/IP suite only spans layers 1-4.

hmm..I am a little confused...is layer 7 also part of TCP/IP?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    bighornsheep, you're using Meyers' Network+ Passport, right? Check pages 141-142; DNS is an application layer service that uses UDP, which is part of the TCP/IP stack.
    Oh, have I confused you? You are familiar with the OSI 7 layered model, as you know? On ther other hand, TCP/IP 4 layered model doesn't touch any on its application layer: application, presentation, and session layers in OSI, assuming application itself works on.

So, my understanding is, in terms of application, say, FTP works atop in either OSI or TCP/IP model. In terms of protocol, FTP works in the transport layer, TCP 20 for data flow, 21 for session control.

Note: HTTP is tricky. HTTP applications work atop but its protocol works in the presentaion layer.
    Oh, have I confused you? You are familiar with the OSI 7 layered model, as you know? On ther other hand, TCP/IP 4 layered model doesn't touch any on its application layer: application, presentation, and session layers in OSI, assuming application itself works on.

So, my understanding is, in terms of application, say, FTP works atop in either OSI or TCP/IP model. In terms of protocol, FTP works in the transport layer, TCP 20 for data flow, 21 for session control.

Note: HTTP is tricky. HTTP applications work atop but its protocol works in the presentaion layer.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    got it. Thanks Gennosuke HIGAKI, kujayhawk93!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all for helping me clear that up. I was at Borders Bookstore yesterdsay and read from a Network Plus book that DNS was mapped to the session Layer of the OSI model.

Thanks again
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino