Putting lower level certifications as qualifications

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
Do people put lower level certifications on their resume even when they pass one next level up. Example: Keeping the CCENT on your resume when you get the CCNA. Or CCNA when you get your CCNP? I know I see people do it on their LinkedIn profile and see people do it on here in their certification list. I guess I just don't understand why they do it, unless they just like to see more letters next to their name?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    On here it doesn't matter. It's a cert forum. Put whatever you like!

Now on the resume I still leave my lower ones just in case someone is searching by keywords. If it's a targeted resume for a specific position I might not leave them on there though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thats true, didn't think of the keywords and HR...
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nope. I removed CCNA when I completed CCNP Security. After passing CISSP I even removed my CompTIA and Microsoft stuff all together. I figure if a position lists CISSP and A+ then they don't know what they want lol.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I keep them because of recruiters/hr. Especially with the DoD requirements almost everyone has to be IAT level 2 certified, so 90% of the recruiters for DoD search solely for sec+. Even though CISSP exceeds the requirements with IAT/IAM III they don't search for it if they're trying to fill a position that only requires level 2. Sadly the IAT/IAM levels rarely line up to what you're actually doing. That's why I keep my lower level certs current and on the resume.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Lots of recruiters still ask me way more about my ccna even though i placed my ccnp above it haha
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now on the resume I still leave my lower ones just in case someone is searching by keywords. If it's a targeted resume for a specific position I might not leave them on there though.

Actually I leave mine off because I don't want recruiters contacting me about a Jr. admin position.

@OP, when I didn't have much experience I kept the lower certs on my resume as filler.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a lot of BS when it comes to HR. They even have software that will scan resumes for keywords now. So competition is getting serious believe it or not. It wouldn't hurt at all. You could always tailor your resume around the job you are applying for also.