Some questions about dealing with a recruiter

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
So far my conversations with recruiters have been as follow:

1º Recruiter contact me because he saw my profile and think I'm a good fit and a copy & paste of the job description.
2º If I'm interested, I tell him so, and also that I need sponsorship (it's on my profile and resume, but it seems they never see it...)
3º They are not able to offer sponsorship so the conversation ends.

However, recently got approached by a recruiter whose client is able to offer sponsorship, and I got some questions. Following previous scenario:

3º He told me that the client offers sponsorship. He told me who is the client and also asked for my expected salary.

- Is it common that a recruiter tell me who is his client so earlier in the conversation?
- I checked client's website and the offer is there. Should I apply directly to this offer instead of working with the recruiter? Both?

4º I quickly researched the average salary and it was around $100k. I told him that I hope at least they were willing to offer $80k and he replied saying that they will $95k-$100k.

- Wasn't this a recruiter's error? I told him 80 and he tells me that minimum 95. So less benefits for them.

5º Finally, he asked me if I was still in Spain, or whether I plan to move to US before or after getting the position. Obviously I told him that I won't move until I got an offer. His final email was for telling me that he needs to check with the client whether or not they are accepting candidates currently not living in US.

- And I wonder... if they are offering sponsorship, what's the problem if I'm not living in US right now?

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My guess would be the concern they have with how quickly you could move and be able to start. It's not always a quick process for the sponsorship, not to mention the logistics of relocating from a foreign country. But, I'm not exactly well versed in this aspect on how quickly they can proceed with getting you ready to work as quickly as possible. If they are looking at getting you a Perm green card to work in the US, that can take several months, or longer. Now, with a H-1B visa, it's not nearly as long, but due to the limited number of those available, it too can take a while to procure depending on your line of work. Generally, the wait is between 30-90 days. How Long It Takes to Get an H-1B Visa | Nolo.com

As far as the pay goes, the recruiter is a better than average one by being up front with what the pay will be. They could be using that as an incentive as it would be more than you would expect and get you more interested in the position.

Also, since you started the conversation with the recruiter, you need to stick with them. Should they find out that you circumvented them to get a job, you could possibly be either excluded in the search as they contacted you about the position. It's an ethical issue as well that may not play in your favor. Stick to the recruiter for now.

They may be hoping that you are already here in the US and have had recent sponsorship so they can easily transfer it to you and can speed up the process to get you started.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sounds like a legit recruiter ? The more money they pay you, the more they get.
    Ive had recruiters tell me I should shoot for more $$$$ before.
    For what Ive seen, no one will pay for an employee visa/sponsor for a low level job. I think usually the vendor considers the near by candidates then it moves to the ones out of the area, but I'm not sure.

PS Barça o Real Madrid? :P
    Saludos
    meh
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like the company is willing to help with the jumping through hoops part and flexible enough on salary to make the deal work. What you probably never thought of asking were things only the recruiter themselves could answer. How long have you been recruiting in general. Do you know this client well from past placements. That will give you a feeling as to how "real" the recruiters skills are or are not.

When the stakes are this high it doesn't hurt to ask some hard but fundamental questions.

- b/eads
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    yzT wrote: »
    4º I quickly researched the average salary and it was around $100k. I told him that I hope at least they were willing to offer $80k and he replied saying that they will $95k-$100k.

- Wasn't this a recruiter's error? I told him 80 and he tells me that minimum 95. So less benefits for them.

I think it's a common misconception that the less you make the more the recruiter makes. If it's a contract type role where you work for them and contracted out to the company then that is more likely to be the case. If they are filling a full time position for the company it's usually a flat rate for them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That pretty much explain it, as it's full time. In Spain the less they pay the more they earn ¬¬