Hypothetical: Which one is best path

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Job 1. Pros:
Lots of down time. Maybe 20+ hours a week. Wage about 84000.00 Good teammates, fun place to work. Allows you to study wgu during work day. You ask for more work but were told to enjoy downtime since when work gets busy its really stressful, so department culture is to chill between the storms.

Cons:
You are not learning anything from the work you do. Your addicted to learning and growing..this place wants you to just hit markers that you can do in your sleep. You ask for more techinical work constantly and are told that its down the line, however you know enough now that that's bs

Job 2. 55-60.00 per hour ($120,000 ). Doing techinical work that challenges you.

Cons: Dont know how teammates will be, or managers will be. Lose downtime to work on school and finish faster. Would require actively pursuing positions that current experience and certifications justifies for market value...however stress was main reason to take less money and leave management for mental health.
Would not be in field that you are intending school for... (Network Security pursuit) new job will be Senior Windows Server Eningeering

...typed from phone..excuse any errors

Comments

• BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    The best path is to do what makes you happy, I know it sound simple but you are already doing well off. Both jobs allow you to live a nice lifestyle and pay the bills on time.

Some people aren't able to do that, so do what makes you happy and what you're passionate about since you have the choice. You will be more successful following your passion.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    W/e you wanna do and like the most.

The money though...
    meh
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Job 1 for 84,000 Alex!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you like the work in Job 2 I would take it in a heartbeat. I don't know about other people. But if I'm pulling in $120k, I would careless on how fast I finish school. I see $36k more as retirement coming earlier

Job 1 sounds decent as well though. It is all going to depend on how happy you are in your lifestyle and what your goals are.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find myself leaning towards option 1. A lot of stress for a job that Really isn't what I want to do, doesn't sound good to me. I think I would take the downtime to finish school and the pursue a job in that field.

NetworkNewb does have some good point about $36k as having retirement come sooner.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting scenario. I would probably go with job 1 and knock out your education and a few certs. Sure the money with job 2 would be great, but before you know it a couple years will have passed and you will be kicking yourself for not finishing school. Let be honest that Job2 will not give you the time you need to study and when you go home at night studying will probably be the last thing you want to do. When the 'next' opportunity presents itself it will probably require a BA, and you wont have it. My last job was similar to job 1 and I worked it for 3 years and knocked out a Masters and 14 certifications. Now I have a job that I can use my skills and already am well respected. You don't have to go this route, life is a series of ups and downs, however you seem to have a choice which can be rare.
    Job 2 is a Senior Systems Engineer pulling in 120k. Not much more higher you can go unless you want to get into management. So not sure why he would be too worried about getting certs or finishing his degree quickly (don't know if it is a BA or Masters he is going for). Also, never know, job 2 could even be a more fun to place to work at. Busy does not always equal stressful. I think a lot people almost talk them out of going to a new job just because they don't know what to expect at the new job and think of the worst.

But if he really wants to get into Network Security, he'll likely be able to pull in 120k/year in that field down the road as well and staying with Job 1 sounds like a good plan. Always better to do something you enjoy.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Long term would be starting my own buisness and consulting with emphasis on Cloud Security and Networking...

I would like to start that venture within 5 years...however between now and then i wanted to get a b.s in IT as i have a B.A in Writing. I chose to go bachelors in wgu as i transferred in everything but 53 cu's to get acclimated with school again before pursuing the MSISA and wanted my Master's to be supported by an undergrad degree that builds on it..

The reason the extra pay entices me is because it allows me to pay off debt faster and save up for home...and would greatly increase that rate.... At my current rate it will be 2 years to accomplish..however this has been a 3 year process so sometimes i wonder if its better to just go for the throat versus papercutting it away over 24 months...

Friends are getting homes and new cars and Ive been living below my means for years and still have little to show for it .... Guess its wearing on me...but school is my priority...was just wondering if passing up on substantial increase now would be more logical than taking what i can get now and running..
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□

Friends are getting homes and new cars and Ive been living below my means for years and still have little to show for it .... Guess its wearing on me...but school is my priority...was just wondering if passing up on substantial increase now would be more logical than taking what i can get now and running..

I hear that .. well you already have the piece of paper for BA so I guess the urgency is a lot less. Maybe job 2 is better, 120k does sound pretty good.
  • WinzerWinzer Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where do you live that there are 84k/year jobs with 20 hours downtime per week and let you study and that the work isn't even all that technical/complicated?

I kind of want to move there.
    Winzer wrote: »
    Where do you live that there are 84k/year jobs with 20 hours downtime per week and let you study and that the work isn't even all that technical/complicated?

I kind of want to move there.

lol seriously, I say take job 2 and then let me know when you leave your current position so I can apply right away!
  • RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Good luck with whatever you choose, but I hope in my lifetime I would have the choice between an $84,000 job, and a $120,000 job! First world problems! LOL! :D