Security Clearance with I.T Degree and Certifications

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
So, I have a Secret Security Clearance that I obtained while in the military. I've been wondering, would a Information Technology degree, Cisco certs and the Security Clearance set me up for a successful career in I.T?

Comments

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It won't hurt but of course the standard hard work and perseverance come into play too.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    Of course it does. That's with everything.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It definitely helps if it isn't expired. Of course that's if you're in an area where there are a lot of gov jobs. A secret clearance is good for 10 years if I remember correctly, but I've been told it only stays good for two years if it's not being held by an agency/company for something. So 10 years after your last review, or 2 years after you were discharged, whichever is less.
  • RogueEnigmaRogueEnigma Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having a clearance definitely opens more doors if you are living in an area with a strong military presence. It also creates the possibility of relocation if you want to go to another state or country for a few years. Clearances cost the potential company money and if you already have one, that company does not have to make that initial investment, which slightly tips the scales in your favor. It also proves to the company that you are "clearable."

Of course, the higher level the clearance the better, Secret is good for 10 years from being read on. If you are no longer with the employer, the clearance goes from "active" to "current". Top Secret is 5 years with the same scenario. Top Secret SCI/SAP is two years (you retain TS but lose the SCI/SAP after two years). The higher the clearance, the easier it is to find a job. The certs, especially 8570 related, are the proverbial icing on the cake. All you really need is Security+ to get started, but it is a requirement for most DoD positions, as you know.

The Cisco certs will put you ahead of the pack as it will show the hiring manager (or at least the HR person) that you are knowledgeable enough to pass the exam. I would also look into anything Linux related for basic command line use.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are not actively using your clearance, then it will expire after two years regardless of what level it is.
    TS: You have to renew every five years.
    S: You renew every 10 years.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Choose where you want to work, see who has the contracts there, apply. :) Northrup, Lockheed, ITT/Excelis, Boeing, etc. A clearance definitely helps in IT if the IT you're working in is still government related. Even people who aren't directly on contracts can need clearances if they touch those systems. IE, we have a contract with DoL, which I wasn't actually on, but since I might touch their systems, had to keep up with their clearance. Same thing can apply with DoD clearances.
  • jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hard work and experience is the key. Certs and a degree don't hurt either.