GSEC preparation

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So, I'm hoping I get into the work study program and go to SANS event and taking the GSEC course here in Minneapolis in July. I was thinking of maybe going after the Security+ after I get my CCNA next month. I don't have a ton of experience in security area so want to prepare myself a little bit before going.

Would it beneficial to get my Security+ before the GSEC? Or do you think there is any cert that would help? I have limited Linux experience and so maybe the Linux+ would help?

Right now I'm leaning towards getting my Security+ and then getting this book below to prepare for it...

http://www.amazon.com/GSEC-Security-Essentials-Certification-Guide/dp/0071820914/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430313352&sr=8-1&keywords=gsec

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I am prepping for the GSEC now actually. I don't think you need to have your Security+ (Not worth the cost IMHO). You already have the CCENT so you should have good for the networking concepts. What I would do is just get Darrill Gibsons book and read it and make sure you have a solid grasp on the Security+ stuff, but skip the cert. As for Linux experience, again, I don't think you need the cert. Make sure you can navigate your way around and do basic tasks.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A good companion book is Eric Cole's Network Security Bible; that being said, the course itself gives you everything you need to know to understand and pass the exam. You're going to see elements of Security+ and CISSP material in the course as well. Overall I feel the GSEC is a great companion to the CISSP.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Wish I had the experience to go for the CISSP, not even close though... maybe in 4 years. I actually have Gibson's Security+ book at home so will probably read through it. I also need to setup Kali Linux on my computer and play it around with it still...

I have this book on Linux:
    Amazon.com: The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction (9781593273897): William E. Shotts Jr.: Books

thinking this one might be a good to look at since it focuses on Security though:
    Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux: Daniel W. Dieterle: 9781494861278: Amazon.com: Books
    Dammit! Just got told I was on the wait list for the work study program... I replied back and let them know I live in the city they are holding and can be ready at any time if someone drops out. They said I will be first on their list if anyone does. icon_mad.gif
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GSEC is kinda CISSP without hardware architecture and software development. I would recommend to pick up network security bible and conrad CISSP study guide.
    Thnx Lionel!

Has anyone on here got told they were on the "wait list", and actually got into the Work Study Program?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I did. Was lucky a guy dropped off and I got SEC501 last year. So yes, there's hope.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I haven't been waitlisted, as I was accepted for the SANS 2015 event. I did apply for Work Study in the Virginia Beach event at the end of August so I'm waiting to hear on that one. Question, which event did you apply for?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I haven't been waitlisted, as I was accepted for the SANS 2015 event. I did apply for Work Study in the Virginia Beach event at the end of August so I'm waiting to hear on that one. Question, which event did you apply for?

I applied for the one in Minneapolis a few months back.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I did. Was lucky a guy dropped off and I got SEC501 last year. So yes, there's hope.

Glad to hear there is a chance!! icon_thumright.gif