Inappropiate boss.

2»

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    olaHalo wrote: »
    You'd consider quitting over being called honey and a boss talking about his wife in a positive way?
    Like someone else said he is just comfortable around you and means no harm.

I don't think she ever said anything about quitting. It's just probably weird to come from a different more strictly professional environment to a place where people call you honey and mention their wife's ass or whatever in casual conversation. Coming from a financial services background into IT, there was a bit of a cultural shift. It's nothing bad necessarily, just an adjustment and I see where she's coming from. I think the original post on how to address this and not to be a stick in the mud. She (OP) didn't bring up anything about going to his manager, reporting it to HR, quitting, etc. Other people made that suggestion and she said it wasn't that big of a deal in her eyes.

Now if he had stroked her hair and called her his precious, her knee should meet his nads :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A former colleague told me about how disgusted she was by a comment that another colleague made to her. When I told her that was similar to the comments that I made to her and numerous colleagues, she told me that it was different because it was me lol.

I came to the conclusion that it is only harassment when women don't like you. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Or she has a personal relationship with you and know that you're joking around while some random dude working with her making those comments could make her uncomfortable and can carry an entirely different meaning. Context does matter.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or she has a personal relationship with you and know that you're joking around while some random dude working with her making those comments could make her uncomfortable and can carry an entirely different meaning. Context does matter.

I like the way I said it better. Please do not burst my bubble. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems kind of bizarre to think about it, because I was in the military and I used to think they we were the most crass, rude, and sexually harassing out there in terms of what came out of our mouths. But I have been thoroughly shocked at what I hear people say in IT. Don't get me wrong, im not offended by it, I just choose not to use my words in that way, and I do my best to always treat everyone as equals. The majority of the ex military folks I work with at Cisco are the same way, but the older "IT" guys are by far the worst.

(I too feel the need to stroke hair..........)
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree Blackout, I've heard far worse conversations on a normal day at my current position than I did on month 6 of a 9 month deployment lol.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Context does matter.

Well said - it really does boil down to this.

@betty - unless you have developed some kind of relationship with this person, based on the short time that you have been at this organization and the pecking order that you briefly described, my inclination is to agree that it's entirely inappropriate. But if you can tolerate it and given the short duration of your contract, I personally would just look a blind eye.

This type of flirtatious behavior is so common though. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I occasionally participate in it myself. But I only ever do it in context. And never with anyone that is subordinate to me. For example, there are sometimes women that would sometimes risk making racy comments to me but I would never reciprocate. I was never offended and I always took it as a flattering comment but that is probably based my gender bias as a male.

You may be surprised to learn that the higher up in an organization, arguably, the more inappropriate comments can become - swearing, cussing, and sexual innuendos are a common occurrence.