Interesting RIP behavior

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
As per the attached image, i've got three routers connected in a square triangle icon_smile.gif .
Configs are as below, quite simple setup.

I start off without the manual summary configured on R1, everything is fine, all routing is as expected.

I add the manual summary to R1 and the following events occur.

1) R1 sends a flash update to R3, prefix 15.15.0.0/16(1), metric in brackets! R3 will update its RIB and send a flash update to R2(2), it won't send a flash update back to R1 due to split-horizon.

2) R2 receives the prefix 15.15.0.0/16(2) from R3, updates it's RIB and sends a flash update 15.15.0.0/16(3) to R1. No flash update is sent to R3 due to split-horizon.

3) When R1 receives the prefix 15.15.0.0/16(3) from R2, it updates it's RIB, and sends a poison prefix 15.15.0.0/16(16) to R3.

4) R3 will receive the poisoned route, the prefix is removed from the RIB and R3 will send a flash update with the poisoned prefix to both R1 and R2. This poisoned triggered updates will propagate throughout the network until all ribs are flushed of 15.15.0.0/16.

5) Eventually, R1 will send the summary to R3 via a standard update and this cycle will continue again.

Step 3) is the interesting part!
I found that this behaviour occurs only if a prefix received on R1 matches the interface summary. The prefix will be poisoned out the summary interface. If the poisoned route makes its way back via an alternative path to R1, the cycle will continue. If no alternate path existed, R1 would keep the RIB entry i.e. prefix received by R2 and on the next update send the summary to R3, i.e. stable network.
Looks like a summary route feedback protection mechanism i never knew about!

R1#sh ip int bri | ex una
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            192.168.1.9     YES manual up                    up      
FastEthernet0/1            192.168.1.1     YES manual up                    up      
Loopback0                  15.15.15.15     YES manual up                    up      
R1#sh runn | sec router rip
router rip
 version 2
 passive-interface Loopback0
 network 15.0.0.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 no auto-summary
R1#sh runn int fa0/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 144 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
 ip summary-address rip 15.15.0.0 255.255.0.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
end
!

R2#sh ip int bri | ex una
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            192.168.1.10    YES manual up                    up      
FastEthernet1/0            192.168.1.5     YES manual up                    up      
R2#sh runn | sec router rip
router rip
 version 2
 network 192.168.1.0
 no auto-summary

R3#sh ip int bri | ex una
FastEthernet0/1            192.168.1.2     YES manual up                    up      
FastEthernet1/0            192.168.1.6     YES manual up                    up      
R3#sh runn | sec router rip
router rip
 version 2
 network 192.168.1.0
 no auto-summary
R3#

Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    RIP split-horizon with poison reverse.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Split-horizon = Don't advertise a prefix out an interface it was learned on.
    Split-horizon poison reverse = Advertise a route with max metric out an interface it was learned on.

R1 is sending and receiving on 2 different interfaces, this is not split-horizon.
    Cisco does not implement poison reverse on RIP.
    We'll get to the bottom of this. Obviously, it's because RIP doesn't install a Null0 route for summary routes. More reading is required.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, expected behavior would be for the R1 to receive the prefix with hop count 3 , advertise it to R3 with metric 4, receive it again with metric 6, circle around again receive with metric 9 and eventually the route gets poisoned and the cycle continues when R1 sends its next update to R3 with the summary.
    This poisoning to the received summary fast tracks the process. I've tested using "default-information originate" on R1 and specifying to use just f0/1 with a route-map and i get the expected behavior. This enhancement seems only applicable to a local summary route.
    We came to the same conclusion but I have been unable to locate any documentation to back our findings. How about you?

SIDE NOTE: Freshies probably wondering why we're going the extra mile on RIP, LOL!
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    SIDE NOTE: Freshies probably wondering why we're going the extra mile on RIP, LOL!

Nope, they all know that it's because you are huge nerds icon_lol.gif
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You never know what will be in that lab...