Apprehensive of the Network +, Advice?

beachlessbumbeachlessbum Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this;
I suppose i should maybe start with a little history of myself, and then jump into the topic at hand. i am preparing to take the network +. This will be My first certification in the IT field. Many have told me that attempting this cert first is unorthodox, but i am doing it because networking is what interests me, and my employer has already told they see no value to me personally in taking the A+ at this point, based on the knowledge i have demonstrated since being hired on to a helpdesk l1/l2 position just under 6 months ago. I am new to the IT field, having changed my major 5 times while in college, and then dropping out because i simply could not figure out what i wanted to be when i grew up. Well that changed when i got hired on to a helpdesk "call center" of sorts. While i am not professionally versed in IT, i love computers and tinkering, and consider myself to be "more skilled then the average bear" when it comes to understanding how thinks interact. Long story slightly less long, i have decided i want to work in IT, i love troubleshooting, finding solutions to problems others shy away from, and working in a fast paced environment, IT is the for the career for me. Why i chose networking is simple enough, I like solving puzzles, troubleshooting and finding the break in the line.

Now Down to it, i have spent the last 2 months studying full time (2-3 hours a day when possible) on my own for Network +. I have religiously read the Mike Meyers Network + book cover to cover, and have consistently scored 85-90% on the included practice test engines . Up until a few days ago, i was feeling pretty confident in my abilities, i even purchased my CompTIA voucher, complete with retest, ready to take on the exam this week. On Sunday that all changed, i started trying out some other testing engines/looking at some of the forum post on this and other sites, and my ego was deflated. On some of the other test engines, i was scoring 50-60%, and struggling with a lot of the questions. I also saw that many people are saying that it is very difficult, and that the performance based questions can make or break you in the exam. I am now terrified of the exam, the book i thought could prepare me for anything did not even mention "performance based questions"! the biggest struggle for me is getting real world experience with handling the network; anytime terms like "vlan","firewall" or "gateway" come up in my current position, i have to send right on to another team by default.

I am hoping there are people on here who have gone the self study route for Network + who may be able to offer some words of wisdom on how to gain some real world exposure to networking when resources are limited. I appreciate any advice that can be given, i honestly have my future riding on this exam and i am in panic mode as i was hoping i could take it at the end of the week icon_sad.gif, i don't think that is going to happen now.

Comments

• MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about practice exams and take the real test.
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First let me debunk the myth, this test is NOT that difficult. It’s the entry level of entry level networking certifications. I know, I self-studied and took the exam a few months ago. Took me right around 3 weeks of full time study. Now, I learned a lot…but I also didn’t have a ton of experience in networking either. Since then I’ve done the Security+ exam (which is a logical move next, Sec+ is 20% Net+). I used CBT nuggets and CompTIA’s Certmaster for exam prep. I’m just now starting down the Cisco path (CCENT and CCNA) and I anticipate it to be infinitely harder than Network+. I have a ‘quick reference’ study guide (around 15 pages) that may be of use to you. It has basically all the major info you need to know for the test and can act as a great study aid. If you need it drop me an email and I’ll shoot it your way.

Regards,

-Travis

travisebyrd@gmail.com
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the self study route, and utilized one book (exam cram) in combination with professor messer videos, and my own working knowledge of networking. I found the exam to be fine, and passed on my first attempt after a week of study (8-10hrs/day). I believe you are more prepared then you think you are, and if you have the voucher with a retake, then TAKE IT! Nothing will better prepare you then the real thing, and worst case, you'll have a sheet with the areas you need to brush up on, and a retake voucher to do it again :D Best of luck!
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    You need to get the "I honestly have my future riding on this exam" mindset out of your head. That's nonsense and will only make you nervous. Like orlandofl said, it's not a difficult exam. Took me about a month and a half to study for using the Network+ Cert Guide and Professor Messer's videos. If you don't pass, take it again.
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    orlandofl wrote: »
    First let me debunk the myth, this test is NOT that difficult. It’s the entry level of entry level networking certifications. I know, I self-studied and took the exam a few months ago. Took me right around 3 weeks of full time study. Now, I learned a lot…but I also didn’t have a ton of experience in networking either. Since then I’ve done the Security+ exam (which is a logical move next, Sec+ is 20% Net+). I used CBT nuggets and CompTIA’s Certmaster for exam prep. I’m just now starting down the Cisco path (CCENT and CCNA) and I anticipate it to be infinitely harder than Network+. I have a ‘quick reference’ study guide (around 15 pages) that may be of use to you. It has basically all the major info you need to know for the test and can act as a great study aid. If you need it drop me an email and I’ll shoot it your way.

Regards,

-Travis

travisebyrd@gmail.com

Are your 'quick reference' study guide in relation to studying for the N10-005 exam or the N10-006 exam? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR